|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers
Overview: the U.S. Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Groceries & Other Food Items For Human Consumption Off The Premises
Household Soaps, Detergents, Cleaners, & Cleaning Supplies
Men's Wear, Including Accessories
Costumes & Unisex Clothing
Footwear, Including Accessories
Curtains, Draperies, Blinds, Slipcovers, Bed & Table Coverings
Major Household Appliances
Small Household Appliances & Personal Care Appliances
Audio Equipment, Musical Instruments (New & Used), Radios, Audio Electronic Components, CDs, Records, Tapes, Audio Books, Sheet
Furniture, Sleep Equipment & Outdoor/Patio Furniture
Flooring & Floor Coverings
Kitchenware & Home Furnishings
Toys, Hobby Goods, & Games
Sporting Goods & Recreational Equipment
Boats & Other Sport Vehicles, Parts & Accessories
Hardware, Tools, & Plumbing & Electrical Supplies
Lawn, Garden, & Farm Equipment & Supplies
Dimensional Lumber & Other Building/Structural Materials & Supplies
Paint & Sundries
Wallpaper & Other Flexible Wallcoverings
Automotive Lubricants, Including Oil, Greases.
Automotive Tires, Tubes, Batteries, Audio Equipment, Parts, Access
Household Fuels, Including Oil, Lp Gas, Wood, Coal
Pets, Pet Foods, & Pet Supplies
All Other Merchandise
All Other Merchandise, Excluding Lottery Ticket Sales/Commissions
All Nonmerchandise Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations||6%|
|Grounds Maintenance Workers||5%|
|Grounds Maintenance Workers||5%|
|Landscaping and Groundskeeping Workers||5%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||61%|
|Supervisors of Sales Workers||9%|
|First-Line Supervisors of Sales Workers||9%|
|First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers||9%|
|Retail Sales Workers||50%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||15%|
|Material Recording, Scheduling, Dispatching, and Distributing Workers||7%|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||5%|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||5%|
|Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations||8%|
|Miscellaneous Agricultural Workers||8%|
|Farmworkers and Laborers, Crop, Nursery, and Greenhouse||8%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||10%|
|Vehicle and Mobile Equipment Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers||8%|
|Small Engine Mechanics||6%|
|Outdoor Power Equipment and Other Small Engine Mechanics||6%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||12%|
|Material Moving Workers||7%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||5%|
|Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand||5%|
Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Northern Tool & Equipment Catalog||134|
|Guardian Building Products||30|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Travel down Sorensen’s garden path - practical skills and love of local materials were ideal for the project. It’s difficult seeing the garden now to grasp the immense scale of the earthworks Sorensen undertook to create it. Lacking today’s massive earth moving equipment, the work was all ... (01/13/2018)
- Retail sales finish 2017 with momentum, says Commerce and NRF - and building materials and garden equipment and supplies dealers climbed 9.9%. NRF reported that December retail sales increased 0.4% on a seasonally adjusted basis compared to November and were up 4.6% annually on an unadjusted basis. Holiday sales ... (01/12/2018)
- December Retail Sales Rose 5.4% YOY - Retail trade sales were up 0.3% from November 2017, and were up 5.6% from last year. Nonstore Retailers were up 12.7% from December 2016, while Building Materials and Garden Equipment and Supplies Dealers were up 9.9% from last year. (01/12/2018)
- Furniture stores post big December sales gain - The year-over-year increase for furniture was second only to the 12.7% increase for non-store retailers — primarily by e-commerce and catalog businesses — and tied the 9.9% increase for building material and garden and supplies dealer. From October ... (01/12/2018)
- US: Retail and food services sales for December 2017 were $495.4 bln, an increase of 0.4% - Nonstore Retailers were up 12.7 percent from December 2016, while Building Materials and Garden Equipment and Supplies Dealers were up 9.9 percent from last year. Information on these pages contains forward-looking statements that involve risks and ... (01/12/2018)
- Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. Announces Agreement To Acquire A Controlling Interest In Zhejiang Maximal Forklift Company Limited - CLEVELAND, Dec. 6, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Hyster-Yale Materials Handling, Inc. (HY ... Chinese OEM for utility and standard lift trucks and specialized material handling equipment founded in 2006, is involved in the design, manufacture, service and ... (01/01/2018)
- Lehigh Valley lumberyard People's Building Supply sold to larger Pa. company - STOCKERTOWN — People’s Building Supply ... dealer in the state behind 84 Lumber of Eight Four, Washington County, which had 2016 sales of nearly $2.9 billion. Editor-in-Chief Craig Webb said Lezzer, which was founded in 1927 as a lumber and farm ... (09/22/2017)
- North Iowa pig equipment dealer: CAFO foes overreacting - In February 2012, Nelson, the Clear Lake City Council's representative on the North Iowa Landfill Board, cast the deciding vote that prevented Colorado-based Creative Energy Systems from building ... mine who supply the needed materials and equipment ... (08/19/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $161,256,316 on Building Material & Garden Equipment & Supplies Dealers. It has awarded 11,469 contracts to 624 companies, with an average value of $258,424 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|