Convenience Stores Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Convenience Stores
Overview: the U.S. Convenience Stores Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Convenience Stores:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Convenience Stores industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Groceries & Other Food Items For Human Consumption Off The Premises
Packaged Liquor, Wine, & Beer
Cigars, Cigarettes, Tobacco, & Smokers' Accessories, Excluding Sales From Vending Machines Operated By Others
Drugs, Health Aids, Beauty Aids, Including Cosmetics
Household Soaps, Detergents, Cleaners, & Cleaning Supplies
Paper & Related Products, Including Paper Towels, Toilet Tissue, Wraps, Bags, Foils.
Pets, Pet Foods, & Pet Supplies
All Other Merchandise
Magazines & Newspapers
Meals, Unpackaged Snacks, Sandwiches, Unpackaged Ice Cream & Yogurt, Bakery Items, Other Food Items & Nonalcoholic Beverages Prepared
All Nonmerchandise Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Convenience Stores company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Convenience Stores industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Convenience Stores measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations||13%|
|Cooks and Food Preparation Workers||6%|
|Food Preparation Workers||5%|
|Food Preparation Workers||5%|
|Food and Beverage Serving Workers||5%|
|Fast Food and Counter Workers||5%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||40%|
|Supervisors of Sales Workers||5%|
|First-Line Supervisors of Sales Workers||5%|
|First-Line Supervisors of Retail Sales Workers||5%|
|Retail Sales Workers||35%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||26%|
|Material Recording, Scheduling, Dispatching, and Distributing Workers||19%|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||18%|
|Stock Clerks and Order Fillers||18%|
|Food Processing Workers||7%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||7%|
|Material Moving Workers||7%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||7%|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||6%|
Convenience Stores Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Man Rams Stolen Army Tank into Convenience Store to Get Bottle of Wine - In the early hours of Wednesday morning, a man in the northwestern Russian region of Murmansk, just south of the Arctic Circle, reportedly stumbled upon a very intimidating looking tank. It had been sitting in a lot for a driving school facility controlled ... (01/12/2018)
- Rash of armed convenience store robberies in Dorchester - Police are dealing with a rash of armed robberies in Dorchester, with two crews of men believed to be behind five convenience store robberies since Tuesday. “We believe these are professional crews hitting Dorchester,” said C-11 commander Captain Tim ... (01/12/2018)
- Grand Forks convenience store robbed at knifepoint - GRAND FORKS, N.D. (AP) — Grand Forks police are looking for a man who robbed a convenience store at knifepoint. Authorities say the man walked into the Valley Dairy store about 7:30 a.m. Friday, showed the weapon and demanded money. The man fled with an ... (01/12/2018)
- How 7-Eleven digitally transformed into the convenience store of the future - A 7-Eleven may bring to mind thoughts of coffee, gas, and slurpees. But the convenience store chain is making some serious moves to digitally transform into a store of the future, exploring e-commerce, augmented reality (AR), and artificial intelligence ... (01/12/2018)
- Prosecutor: Springfield convenience store clerk recognized 2 teen robbers as daily customers - SPRINGFIELD -- It wasn't just the Dutch Masters cigars. When a Springfield convenience store was robbed last month, the clerk had no problem identifying the two teenage cigar enthusiasts who did it, a prosecutor said Monday. Besides recognizing them as ... (01/12/2018)
- US agents target convenience stores to nab illegal Caribbean nationals - WASHINGTON, DC, USA (CMC) — US Federal immigration agents on Wednesday arrested several undocumented workers when they descended on dozens of convenience stores across the country, targeting illegal Caribbean and other immigrants. The agents descended on ... (01/12/2018)
- Kohl's to partner with grocers or convenience stores to fill vacant store space - Kohl's plans to partner with retailers like grocery stores or convenience stores to lease space in its stores. The department store has made roughly 300 of its stores operationally smaller, leaving white space. Grocery and convenience stores can be strong ... (01/12/2018)
- Got Wawa? Convenience store expanding delivery to New Jersey - Barbara Boyer is an award-winning journalist covering breaking news, law enforcement, and general assignments for the Inquirer since 1997. The Philly region’s favorite convenience store is expanding its delivery service to South Jersey. Wawa’s Cherry ... (01/11/2018)
- Kohl's plans to lease unused store space to grocers and convenience stores - Kohl's plans to lease space in some of its stores to other retailers. The company had downsized some of its larger stores in order to better manage inventory, leaving some space vacant. Kohl's CEO Kevin Mansell said the company is even considering ... (01/11/2018)
- Kohl's plans to lease unused store space to grocers, convenience stores - Kohl's plans to lease space left vacant after shrinking some of its stores to retailers such as grocery stores or convenience stores, the company said on Wednesday. Not all of Kohl's roughly 300 "right-sized" stores will necessarily lease unused footage ... (01/10/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $5,045 on Convenience Stores. It has awarded 1 contracts to 1 companies, with an average value of $5,045 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Convenience food stores, etc.