|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services
Overview: the U.S. Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
System Software Publishing
Application Software Publishing
Information Technology (It) Technical Consulting Services
Application Service Provisioning, With Or Without Integration Of Related Services
Business Process Management Services, Including Financial, Human Resources, Supply-Chain, Customer Relations, And Vertical Marke
Website Hosting Services, With Or Without Integration Of Related Services
Data Storage Services
Data Management Services
Video And Audio Streaming Services
Other Data Processing Or It Infrastructure Provisioning Services
Internet Access Services - Broadband (I.E., Always-On)
Information And Document Transformation Services
Custom Application Design And Development Services
Network Design And Development Services
Computer Systems Design, Development, And Integration Services
It Infrastructure And Network Management Services
Information Technology (It) Technical Support Services
Resale Of Merchandise
All Other Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||9%|
|Business Operations Specialists||7%|
|Computer and Mathematical Occupations||40%|
|Computer and Information Analysts||8%|
|Computer Systems Analysts||7%|
|Software Developers and Programmers||15%|
|Software Developers, Applications||6%|
|Database and Systems Administrators and Network Architects||6%|
|Computer Support Specialists||9%|
|Computer User Support Specialists||6%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||6%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||31%|
|Information and Record Clerks||12%|
|Customer Service Representatives||10%|
|Customer Service Representatives||10%|
|Other Office and Administrative Support Workers||11%|
Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Automatic Data Processing||143|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Between Human Beings and Data—The Locus of Privacy - If data shows that a certain person often goes to a certain place during a time of day when there is a high possibility of murder occurring, that person will be warned by police. Also, a data analysis company has analyzed the likes for SNS related to the ... (01/11/2018)
- Top 8 Questions to Ask When Choosing a Data Storage Strategy for Your IoT Solution - Each architectural choice impacts performance from the end device hardware to the protocol used to transmit data to the back-end infrastructure like hosting and databases ... at reading lots of data for analytics processing in a high-performant manner ... (01/10/2018)
- How Digital Ocean became the world’s second largest web hosting provider - According to internet services company Netcraft.com ... At the peak, it processes over 200k requests per second. This translates to a data pipeline that is capable of processing over 3B requests per day. While other companies have huge fleets of servers ... (01/10/2018)
- Data Security and Privacy - We do all necessary data encryption from transmission up-to saving of data on our database. We are constantly doing security research to make sure we catch any early vulnerabilities either related to ... going to our Web services are run through TLS ... (01/10/2018)
- Data Sovereignty: A barrier to cloud adoption? - Privacy and data-hosting laws vary wildly by country ... and in accordance with its country’s laws can become a minefield. Here, cloud-based services can offer manufacturers significant advantages. From a cost, maintenance and deployment standpoint ... (01/09/2018)
- Data centers - These centers are responsible for data storage, maintenance and processing, and maintaining the space for hosting websites in the country, online email communications, domestic messaging services and all communications between government and non-government ... (01/08/2018)
- 16,800 IT Jobs Added to Tech Industry in November, Says BLS Report - The industry combines employment numbers from the data processing, hosting and related services subsector, the computer and electronic product manufacturing subsector, the computer systems design and related services industry group, and the management and ... (12/31/2017)
- The Great Data Breach Disasters of 2017 - In addition to the usual demographic information, the company was hosting a vast amount of personal ... and attention from door-to-door canvassers. On a related note, Gizmodo broke a story last week detailing a data breach that exposed the state of ... (12/27/2017)
- Cloud Will Spur The Next Round Of Growth In Data Processing And Hosting Services - The Data Processing and Hosting Services industry provides infrastructure used for ... The author is not receiving compensation for it (other than from Seeking Alpha). The author has no business relationship with any company whose stock is mentioned ... (01/13/2015)
- Data Processing, Hosting Power IT Employment: Janco - The primary driver was the telecommunications sector (4,100 jobs lost) while jobs were gained in other information services (1,300 jobs added), data processing and hosting (2,000 jobs added), and computer system design and related services (500 jobs added). (01/09/2012)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $2,165,901,379 on Data Processing, Hosting & Related IT Services. It has awarded 5,638 contracts to 1,097 companies, with an average value of $1,974,386 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|