|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Directory & Mailing List Publishers
Overview: the U.S. Directory & Mailing List Publishers Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Directory & Mailing List Publishers:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Directory & Mailing List Publishers industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Directories - Subscriptions And Sales
Directories - Sale Of Advertising Space
Directories - Sale Of Advertising Space - Telephone
Directories - Sale Of Advertising Space - Other
Databases And Other Collections Of Information - Subscriptions And Sales
Rental Or Sale Of Mailing Lists
All Other Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Directory & Mailing List Publishers Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Directory & Mailing List Publishers companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Directory & Mailing List Publishers company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Directory & Mailing List Publishers industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Directory & Mailing List Publishers measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||5%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||28%|
|Art and Design Workers||6%|
|Media and Communication Workers||21%|
|News Analysts, Reporters and Correspondents||6%|
|Reporters and Correspondents||6%|
|Writers and Editors||14%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||16%|
|Sales Representatives, Services||11%|
|Advertising Sales Agents||10%|
|Advertising Sales Agents||10%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||23%|
|Other Office and Administrative Support Workers||9%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||7%|
Directory & Mailing List Publishers Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Build launch hype without annoying your list - One of the main concerns that I hear from clients when we work on the email marketing aspect of their launch campaign strategy is that they don’t like launching because they’re worried about annoying their list. No matter how big your list is ... (01/12/2018)
- Facebook drastically changes News Feed to make it “good for people” (and bad for most publishers) - “News remains a top priority for us,” Campbell Brown, Facebook’s head of news partnerships, claimed in an email ... be publishers who rely on Facebook for distribution. I heard the word “video” quite a few times as something on the death list ... (01/12/2018)
- Facing threat of exposure, creator of list accusing media men of misconduct reveals herself - I declined and heard nothing more from Roiphe or Harper’s until I received an email from a fact checker with questions about Roiphe’s piece. ‘Katie identifies you as a woman widely believed to be one of the creators of the S----- Men in Media List ... (01/12/2018)
- Why the "sh***y men" list author deserves our praise - (2) Founder and publisher of the now-defunct ... since in Donegan's telling, the email from the fact-checker identified her as "a woman widely believed to be one of the creators of the Sh***y [sic] Men in Media List." Like the sh***y men of media ... (01/12/2018)
- African-American directory from 1942 now online - The Official California Negro Directory and Classified Buyers Guide, a 1942-43 publication by New Age Publishing, contains residential ... She put out a call for ideas on social media and was put in contact with Jason Scott of the Internet Archive. (01/11/2018)
- Media Men list: Moira Donegan identifies herself as creator of the document - "This escalated when I learned Katie Roiphe would be publishing ... later received an email from a fact checker for Harper's claiming that Roiphe had identified her as the woman "widely believed to be one of the creators" of the list, and asking how ... (01/11/2018)
- Phone Book Publisher Dex Media Acquires YP Holdings To Create DexYP - DexYP’s product, Thryv, automates functions businesses performed manually in the past, such as building a digital customer list, communicating with customers via email and text ... ad spend in the print and digital directory segment, the analyst firm ... (06/30/2017)
- Research and Markets: 2012 Report on the $16 Billion US Directory & Mailing List Publishers Industry featuring Dex One, SuperMedia and Yellow Book USA - has announced the addition of the "Directory & Mailing List Publishers" report to their offering. The US directory and mailing list publishing industry includes about 1,300 companies with combined annual revenue of about $16 billion. Major companies ... (05/24/2012)
- From WordPress to iTunes: How To Podcast With WordPress - Assuming that you know how to install WordPress plugins, and burn your feeds using Feedburner, I’m going to show you how to get your podcast file from your hard drive to the iTunes podcast directory ... from the drop down list. The podcast file itself ... (02/01/2009)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $6,519,066 on Directory & Mailing List Publishers. It has awarded 105 contracts to 30 companies, with an average value of $217,302 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Electronic directory publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Catalog of collections publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Directory and mailing list publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Business directory publishers and printing combined, Telephone directory publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Address list publishers and printing combined, Directory publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Directory publishers and printing combined, Publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), directory, Telephone directory publishers and printing combined, Directory and mailing list publishers and printing combined, Business directory publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Catalog of collections publishers and printing combined, Mailing list publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), Address list publishers (except exlusive Internet publishing), etc.