|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Graphic Designers
Overview of the U.S. Graphic Designers IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Graphic Designers: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Graphic Designers industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Graphic Design Services
Corporate And Organization Image Design Services
Advertising And Promotional Design Creative Services
Publication Design Services
Commercial Illustration Design Services
Website And Internet Presence Design And Development Services
All Other Graphic Design Services
Other Specialized Design Services
All Other Receipts
All Other Operating Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Graphic Designers company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Graphic Designers industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Graphic Designers measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||4%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||5%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||46%|
|Art and Design Workers||44%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||8%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||16%|
Graphic Designers Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Intel's Core i7 with Radeon RX Vega graphics: full specs revealed - The CPU side of the equation features a four-core, eight-thread design, offering single-core speeds of up to ... the AMD semi-custom GPU offers 24 compute units in its top-end Radeon RX Vega M GH graphics configuration, with a peak 3.7 teraflops of power. (01/10/2018)
- New study: Graphic design software market analysis and forecasts from 2018 to 2023 - The objective of the report is to gather important market data and offer insights about the trends and opportunities of the global market to the readers. - Agency -. “Global Graphic Design Software Market Size, Status and Forecast 2023” is the latest ... (01/10/2018)
- How To Choose A Colour Scheme For Your Logo Design - Graphic designers need to harness the power of colour psychology to bring resonance to their designs – and in no field is this more important than that of logo design. The use of colour can bring multiple layers of meaning, from primitive responses based ... (01/10/2018)
- How To Design Coloring Mandalas - One of the advantages of a mandala design is that you are absolutely free to choose any shape and color that would express your view of reality and approach the process with all the creativity you have. To get started with abstract graphic designing ... (01/10/2018)
- Enliven a streetscape with creative art or graphic design - The City of Canada Bay is committed to providing high quality streetscapes that support and enhance our village centres. As part of this commitment we are seeking to appoint an artist/graphic designer to work with Council and business owners to create a ... (01/10/2018)
- Man City’s graphic design game is more Sunday League than Premier League - There’s a lot to be admired about Manchester City right now. They’re running away with the Premier League, they dominated their Champions League group and they’re playing some of the finest football British fans have ever witnessed. (01/09/2018)
- Dell’s XPS 15 gets the 2-in-1 treatment, plus Radeon RX Vega graphics - Dell unveiled the new XPS 15 convertible at CES, complete with a design that resembles the original 15-inch XPS laptop while including upgraded processors and graphics chips. The new XPS also has a stylus that works with the device's touchscreen. (01/09/2018)
- 10 logo design trends that will dominate 2018 - Reserved colors and clear graphic shapes create strong retro vibes. Such logos evoke associations with tradition, heritage, and longevity. In logo design, slices are wide parallel lines that seem to make “cuts” in the logo. This trend will become even ... (01/09/2018)
- Online graphic design startup Canva is now worth $1 billion - Canva is Australia's first unicorn of 2018, after raising $40 million (AUD$50.9 million) to push the design startup's value over $1 billion. Now available in 190 countries, with over 10 million users, the online design and publishing platform was launched ... (01/09/2018)
- WKCTC’s Paducah School of Art and Design to host community involved art exhibition by Ruth Baggett - The gallery is located at PSAD’s 2D and Graphic Design Building at 905 Harrison Street in Paducah’s Lower Town Arts District. The exhibition will remain on display through February 22 and is complemented by an exhibition of student works from 21st ... (01/09/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $32,165,422 on Graphic Designers. It has awarded 713 contracts to 217 companies, with an average value of $148,228 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Graphic Designers to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Graphic Designers||Opportunity/Threat|
|Business Service Centers||Competing industry|
|Magazine & Periodical Publishers||Competing industry|
|Document Preparation Services||Competing industry|
|Book Publishers||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Printing Services are less than those from Graphic Designers. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Printing Services sales, taking market share from this industry.
Printing Services Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Graphic art and related design services, Studios, commercial art, Silk screen design services, Artists, independent commercial, Medical artists, independent, independent graphic, Commercial art services, Graphic artists, Commercial illustrators, Illustrators, Art studios, commercial, Corporate identification (i.e., logo) design services, independent medical, Commercial illustration services, Commercial artists, Medical illustrators, Medical art services, Medical illustration services, Art services, graphic, Graphic design services, Communication design services, visual, etc.