|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing
Overview: the U.S. Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Computer Storage Device Manufacturing
Resales - Sales Of Products Bought And Sold Without Further Manufacture, Processing, Or Assembly
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Operations Specialties Managers||6%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||10%|
|Business Operations Specialists||7%|
|Computer and Mathematical Occupations||33%|
|Software Developers and Programmers||23%|
|Software Developers, Applications||9%|
|Software Developers, Systems Software||14%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||19%|
|Computer Hardware Engineers||8%|
|Computer Hardware Engineers||8%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||7%|
|Assemblers and Fabricators||7%|
|Electrical, Electronics, and Electromechanical Assemblers||7%|
|Electrical and Electronic Equipment Assemblers||6%|
Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Vexata all-flash systems aim to reduce storage latency - flash drives and 3D XPoint from Intel (Optane SSDs) and Micron. The focus of all-flash storage systems to date has been to improve performance for legacy workloads compared to hard disk arrays, but that doesn’t begin to maximize the throughput ... (01/12/2018)
- Serial Attached SCSI Market To Witness Enhanced Usage In Electronic Product, Computer, Aerospace & Defense Sectors Till 2021 | Million Insights - SAS cares up to 128 straight point-to-point contacts, as related to the 15-device restriction shared with equivalent SCSI buttons in the Serial Attached SCSI market. Exterior disk ... and from computer storage instruments like hard drives and tape drives. (01/11/2018)
- Rumors of a SAS Demise Are Greatly Exaggerated - Storage devices, such as solid-state drives (SSDs), hard-disk drives (HDDs) and tape drives ... s top storage manufacturers continue to deploy flash-based SAS SSDs because SAS offers benefits and capabilities that differentiate it from other active ... (01/08/2018)
- An enterprise storage dictionary for non-experts - On an individual computer, copy your files onto another drive or a cloud. On a corporate network, things are exponentially more complicated. You can use traditional backup software, which puts a small application on every device, PC, and server and then ... (01/03/2018)
- Atomic Hard Drive: IBM Researchers Store Single Bit Of Data On World's Smallest Magnet — One Atom Of Holmium - That is why, computer scientists have — especially over the past decade — been experimenting with viable alternatives such as synthetic-DNA based systems and quantum computers. Now, in another huge step toward making these storage media smaller ... (03/09/2017)
- Will flash or disk drives own the future of data storage? - This is a guest post by Gary Gentry, SVP of solid state drives at Seagate. “Flash or disk?” That question — whether the future of data storage would be defined by flash memory or hard ... cards are another opportunity to expand. Some manufacturers ... (05/26/2013)
- Hard Drives 101: Magnetic Storage - This second chapter we're making available from Scott's book covers the ABCs of magnetic storage. Don't forget to check out the previous chapter published on Tom's Hardware, Computer ... you can see, hard disk drives and other storage devices read and ... (08/30/2011)
- BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY; The Evolution of the Floppy Disk for PC's - But in a laptop computer, where size and weight are important, a 20-megabyte floppy could replace the floppy and hard disk drive. A high-capacity floppy could also replace tape drives used as backup storage ... all the other Japanese drive manufacturers ... (03/14/1990)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $131,557,315 on Hard Disk Drive, Tape & Computer Storage Device Manufacturing. It has awarded 1,860 contracts to 446 companies, with an average value of $294,972 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
CD-ROM drives manufacturing, DVD (digital video disc) drives, computer peripheral equipment, manufacturing, Flexible (i.e., floppy) magnetic disk drives manufacturing, Floppy disk drives manufacturing, Magnetic/optical combination storage units for computers manufacturing, Direct access storage devices manufacturing, Hard disk drives manufacturing, Storage devices, computer, Tape storage units (e.g., drive backups), Optical disk drives manufacturing, Disk drives, etc.