Interior Designers Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Interior Designers
Overview of the U.S. Interior Designers IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Interior Designers: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Interior Designers industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Full-Service Interior Design Services
Full-Service Interior Design Services For Residential Buildings, Except Historical Restoration
Full-Service Interior Design Services For Non-Residential Buildings, Except Historical Restoration
Interior Design Services Sold Separately
Interior Decorating Services
Resale Of Merchandise
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Interior Designers company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Interior Designers industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Interior Designers measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||4%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||5%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||46%|
|Art and Design Workers||44%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||8%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||16%|
Interior Designers Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Elevate The Interior Design of Your Loft with These Vintage Lamps - Artist Loft idea A project we worked on for the Evermotion “Whole a Lot of Loft” competition. Inspired from a cotton factory in Varna, we designed the interior. Find this Pin and more on Industrial Design by TasiaNoir. vision of a loft by Quattro ... (01/10/2018)
- 6 Bedroom Decor Ideas Designers Really Wish You Wouldn't Buy Into - Sadly, bedroom decor leaves a lot to be desired, according to interior designers, who see homeowners make the same mistakes over and over when choosing how to furnish this room. But you don't have to be one of them: Just heed this list of bedroom decor ... (01/10/2018)
- FAA Approves New Lightweight EMS Interior System - The FAA has approved a Supplemental Type Certificate (STC) for a new lightweight, quickly removable emergency medical services Advanced Life Support System (ALSS) interior for Leonardo AW119 and AW109 helicopters manufactured by AMS Heli Design. (01/10/2018)
- The Top 8 Home Design Trends in 2018 - “I’m seeing more complexity in furniture that incorporates multiple materials to create more interest,” said Donna Mondi, founder and principal, Donna Mondi Interior Design in Chicago. “For example, in our capsule collection, the floor mirror has a ... (01/10/2018)
- The World's Best Interior Designers Hot List, Part 5 - We bring you the world’s best interior designers who’ve been making headlines thanks to their lust-worthy residential designs sure to give you some home décor inspiration. Background: Aged just 35, the London- and Hong Kong-based designer studied ... (01/10/2018)
- Jewels on the Bay Designer Showhouse Makes Over Two Granada Park Homes - If you’re looking to change the whole look of your home or simply gather inspiration from the latest home décor products, the 23 rd annual Jewels on the Bay Designer Showhouse offers a wealth of creative ideas. Twenty-six of the area’s top interior ... (01/09/2018)
- 5 Interior Design Details for Winter - Are you interested in adding a little seasonal oomph to your space? Below are a handful of cozy—and inexpensive—winter updates. Cozy blankets galore. Nothing is better than a snuggly blanket on a cool winter evening. Drape heavier blankets over sofas ... (01/09/2018)
- Why Wall Art is an Interior Design Must Have - Far too often in interior design circles, we see wall art being the last consideration when putting a room together. It’s an afterthought, once the final coat of paint has dried and the furniture has been thoughtfully arranged, then a piece of art might ... (01/09/2018)
- Chip and Joanna Gaines Want You to Stop Making These Bad Design Mistakes - It’s hard to believe that Joanna Gaines doesn’t have any formal interior design training. It just goes to show that having an eye for design isn’t something they can teach in school — either you have it, or you don’t. Even before Fixer Upper made ... (01/09/2018)
- LIVE: Creating Accent Walls With Interior Design Expert Garceau - If you are going to put an accent wall in your home, design expert Robin Garceau, of Robin Garceau Interiors, says to think about using other materials besides paint. Garceau says an accent wall doesn’t just add a pop of color, it can be used to create ... (01/09/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $21,762,542 on Interior Designers. It has awarded 371 contracts to 74 companies, with an average value of $294,088 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Interior Designers to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
Interior Design Services
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Interior Designers||Opportunity/Threat|
|Architectural Services||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Interior Design Services are less than those from Interior Designers. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Interior Design Services sales, taking market share from this industry.
Interior Design Services Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Interior designer services, Interior decorating consultant services, Interior design consulting services, Interior decorating consulting services, Interior design services, Decorating consulting services, interior, etc.