Libraries & Archives Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Libraries & Archives
Overview of the U.S. Libraries & Archives IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Libraries & Archives: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Libraries & Archives industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Contributions, Gifts, And Grants (Libraries And Archives Only.)
Library And Archival Institution Services
Archival Institution Services
Information Search And Retrieval Services
All Other Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Libraries & Archives company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Libraries & Archives industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Libraries & Archives measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||3%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||9%|
|Business Operations Specialists||7%|
|Computer and Mathematical Occupations||30%|
|Software Developers and Programmers||22%|
|Software Developers, Applications||15%|
|Education, Training, and Library Occupations||7%|
|Librarians, Curators, and Archivists||6%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||10%|
|Media and Communication Workers||7%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||10%|
|Sales Representatives, Services||8%|
|Miscellaneous Sales Representatives, Services||5%|
|Sales Representatives, Services, All Other||5%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||17%|
|Information and Record Clerks||9%|
Libraries & Archives Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Yankee Book Peddler|
|Queens Borough Public Library|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Folks Are Hating On Obama’s Forthcoming Presidential Library In Chicago - Barack Obama‘s presidential library has drawn a lot of attention from Chicagoans, but not all of it has been positive. Ambitious plans for the center coming to the city’s South Side have prompted debates, with some folks straight up hating on it, The ... (01/13/2018)
- Seymour Library: A new year to read more - Seymour Library is kicking off its 2018 reading challenge with 26 categories. This year’s categories include a book featuring royalty, a re-read from your childhood, a book by an author of a different ethnicity than you, and more. We picked the themes ... (01/13/2018)
- Call Box: Springfield Library was ‘temple of knowledge’ - Dear Call Box: I heard there was a library for Springfield-area residents that was in an old house. I’d like to know more about it. Dear S.M.: The Springfield Library was in a Victorian mansion cluttered with oak shelves lined with books. It was a ... (01/13/2018)
- Franklin Township Public Library to Host Free Blues Concert Next Month - SOMERSET, NJ - The public is invited to a free blues concert with SaRon Crenshaw and his band, 2 p.m., Feb. 4, at the Franklin Township Public Library. He has shared stages with talented recording artists such as Lee Fields, Roy Roberts, Denise LaSalle ... (01/13/2018)
- Movie Buffs Welcome to Library’s Monthly Movie Club - Dann and Raymond's Movie Club, hosted by Daily Herald Film Critic Dann Gire and award-winning author Raymond Benson, will meet from 7:30-9:30 p.m., Thursdays, Feb. 7 and March 1, in the Rasmussen North Room of the Schaumburg Library, 130 S. Roselle Rd ... (01/13/2018)
- No final decision on fate of Lyons library cat - LYONS — Some residents in central Michigan are hoping local officials will allow a cat to stay in the public library. The Lyons Township District Library Board of Directors decided last month that the cat would have to leave the Lyons Public Library ... (01/13/2018)
- Hinsdale Library Hosts Jazz Vocalist - HINSDALE, IL — The Hinsdale Public Library will host jazz vocalist Alyssa Allgood in its HPL After Dark: Jammin' in the Stacks event. According to the library website, the event will be held from 7 to 8:45 p.m. on Friday, Jan. 19. The library is ... (01/13/2018)
- Bethlehem Public Library's chief welcomes survey on its future with Bethlehem Township - The executive director of the Bethlehem Area Public Library is expected to give a presentation at Monday’s meeting of the Bethlehem Township commissioners. Josh Berk said he is scheduled to brief commissioners on the services that the library offers. (01/12/2018)
- Philadelphia library names new city poet laureate - Raquel Salas Rivera was named the poet laureate for 2018-2019 in a ceremony at the Free Library of Philadelphia on Monday. Thirty-two-year-old Rivera is a bilingual poet, writing and reading work primarily in Spanish, and later translating into English. (01/12/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $57,596,252 on Libraries & Archives. It has awarded 461 contracts to 157 companies, with an average value of $366,855 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Centers for documentation (i.e., archives), Circulating libraries, Motion picture film libraries, archives, Lending libraries, Bookmobiles, Reference libraries, Libraries (except motion picture stock footage, motion picture commercial distribution), Archives, Film archives, Music archives, etc.
Can't find what you're looking for? We have over a thousand market research reports. Ask us and an analyst will help you find what you need.