|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Newspaper Publishers
Overview of the U.S. Newspaper Publishers IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Newspaper Publishers: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Newspaper Publishers industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Subscriptions And Sales - General Newspapers
Subscriptions And Sales - General Newspapers - Daily (Published At Least Four Times A Week.)
Subscriptions And Sales - General Newspapers - Other Than Daily (Published Less Than Four Times A Week.)
Subscriptions And Sales - Specialized Newspapers
Sale Of Advertising Space - General Newspapers
Sale Of Advertising Space - General Newspapers - Daily (Published At Least Four Times A Week.)
Sale Of Advertising Space - General Newspapers - Other Than Daily (Published Less Than Four Times A Week.)
Sale Of Advertising Space - Specialized Newspapers
Other Publishing - Sale Of Advertising Space
Other Publishing, Excluding Newspaper Publishing - Sale Of Advertising Space
Distribution Services For Others
All Other Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Newspaper Publishers Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Newspaper Publishers companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Newspaper Publishers company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Newspaper Publishers industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Newspaper Publishers measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||30%|
|Media and Communication Workers||23%|
|News Analysts, Reporters and Correspondents||11%|
|Reporters and Correspondents||11%|
|Writers and Editors||11%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||16%|
|Sales Representatives, Services||12%|
|Advertising Sales Agents||11%|
|Advertising Sales Agents||11%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||22%|
|Other Office and Administrative Support Workers||11%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||10%|
|Material Moving Workers||5%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||5%|
Newspaper Publishers Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|New York Times||422|
|Gannett Satellite Information Network||235|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Navajo Times publisher facing DWI, speeding charges - GALLUP, N.M. — The publisher of the Navajo Times is facing charges of aggravated drunken driving and speeding following a traffic stop over the weekend in a community near the Arizona-New Mexico border. The newspaper reported Tuesday that Tom Arviso Jr ... (01/11/2018)
- BuzzFeed Chief Defends Trump Pee Dossier: ‘I’m Proud We Published’ - “A year of government inquiries and blockbuster journalism has made clear that the dossier is unquestionably real news,” said Smith. “We strongly believed that publishing the disputed document whose existence we and others were reporting was in the ... (01/11/2018)
- News-Miner Publisher Fuller Cowell to retire; Harris named to position - FAIRBANKS - Fuller Cowell will retire next month as publisher of the 114-year-old Fairbanks Daily News-Miner, the trustee of the Helen E. Snedden Foundation announced Wednesday. Richard Harris, publisher of the Kodiak Daily Mirror, will succeed Cowell on ... (01/11/2018)
- Round Hill Completes $240 Million Acquisition of Carlin Music Publishing - Carlin Music Publishing, home to songs by Elvis Presley, James Brown, AC/DC, Billie Holiday and many others, closed its sale to Round Hill Music, Variety has confirmed. News of Round Hill’s winning bid, for a reported $240 million, was reported back in ... (01/11/2018)
- Trump lawyer Michael Cohen sues BuzzFeed for publishing Steele dossier - wrote in an op-ed in The New York Times on Tuesday night that he was proud to have published the dossier, saying "a year of government inquiries and blockbuster journalism has made clear that the dossier is unquestionably real news." "Keeping the reporting ... (01/10/2018)
- I’m Proud We Published the Trump-Russia Dossier - NBC’s Chuck Todd told me on air, “You just published fake news.” Mr. Trump agreed. He described CNN’s reporting on the dossier as “fake news” and called BuzzFeed a “failing pile of garbage.” But a year of government inquiries and ... (01/10/2018)
- CMO Today: Leaked Snap Stats; Hulu Reaches $1 Billion In Ad Revenue; Publishers Leap to Facebook Groups - Publishers, known for leaning into Facebook’s whims faster ... [Hollywood Reporter] Steve Bannon has resigned from his post as executive chairman of Breitbart News. Sirius XM also ended its relationship with Mr. Bannon. [New York Times] Fox Sports ... (01/10/2018)
- BuzzFeed editor 'proud' to have published Trump dossier - and analysis from ABC News. BuzzFeed's top editor says he's "proud" that the organization published an uncorroborated dossier about Donald Trump and his presidential campaign. Ben Smith writes in an opinion column in The New York Times that it's clear "the ... (01/10/2018)
- Trump lawyer Michael Cohen suing BuzzFeed for publishing Russia dossier - A source told the Daily News the editor-in-chief did not know Cohen was prepping a lawsuit against him at the time his op-ed was published. “We strongly believed that publishing the disputed document whose existence we and others were reporting was in ... (01/10/2018)
- Controversy over Michael Wolff’s Trump book has fueled record sales, publisher says - Trump has a long history of threatening legal action against news organizations that published articles that displeased him in some way. The list includes The Washington Post, the New York Times, the Associated Press, Rolling Stone, NBC News, USA Today and ... (01/08/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $6,535,838 on Newspaper Publishers. It has awarded 542 contracts to 90 companies, with an average value of $72,620 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Newspaper Publishers to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Newspaper Publishers||Opportunity/Threat|
|Graphic Design Services||Competing industry|
|Business Service Centers||Competing industry|
|Magazine & Periodical Publishers||Competing industry|
|Document Preparation Services||Competing industry|
|Book Publishers||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Printing Services are less than those from Newspaper Publishers. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Printing Services sales, taking market share from this industry.
Printing Services Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Publishers, newspaper, combined with printing, Newspaper publishers and printing combined, newspaper (except exclusive Internet publishing), Newspaper branch offices, Newspaper publishers (except exclusive Internet publishing), etc.