|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Oil & Gas Extraction
Overview: the U.S. Oil & Gas Extraction Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Oil & Gas Extraction:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Oil & Gas Extraction Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Oil & Gas Extraction companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Oil & Gas Extraction company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Oil & Gas Extraction industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Oil & Gas Extraction measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||3%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||12%|
|Business Operations Specialists||6%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||15%|
|Life, Physical, and Social Science Occupations||7%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||12%|
|Construction and Extraction Occupations||17%|
|Derrick, Rotary Drill, and Service Unit Operators, Oil, Gas, and Mining||8%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||7%|
|Material Moving Workers||6%|
|Pumping Station Operators||5%|
Oil & Gas Extraction Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Baker Hughes a GE||4931|
|Tesco Corporation US||91|
|Scientific Drilling International||66|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Oil prices are close to levels not seen since the Thanksgiving 2014 bloodbath - In the first half of 2018, the seasonal drop in oil demand could pull crude futures out of sync with other commodities that are rallying, said Kevin Book, head of research for oil, gas and coal at ... On the other hand, OPEC's production cuts helped ... (01/11/2018)
- Industry Group Challenges Proposed Ballot Question To Raise Oil And Gas Taxes - The Oklahoma Independent Petroleum Association on Wednesday filed two separate state Supreme Court challenges to a proposed state question that would ask voters to end industry discounts and impose a broad 7 percent tax on oil and gas production to fund ... (01/10/2018)
- Global Oilfield Services Market 2018-2022 - Shale Gas Extraction Fueling the $125.5 Billion Market - Research and Markets - This growth is attributed to increasing shale gas production, growing global E&P spending, and lifting of Iranian oil export sanctions. The report segments the oilfield services market, on the basis of application, into onshore and offshore. The growth of ... (01/10/2018)
- US oil production to hit record earlier than expected - The company expects supplies of natural gas and natural gas liquids to nearly double in the Permian Basin over the next five years. Ethanol production in the US will average almost 990,000 barrels per day in 2016 and 2017, an increase from 970,000 barrels ... (01/10/2018)
- BRIEF-Geopark Q4 Consolidated Oil And Gas Production Up 30 Pct TO 30,654 Boepd - * GEOPARK ANNOUNCES FOURTH QUARTER 2017 OPERATIONAL UPDATE Source text for Eikon: Further company coverage: Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles. (01/10/2018)
- Billionaire CEO of Austin oil company to step down - Because the Permian is one of the cheapest places in the country to produce oil and gas, it was still profitable for Parsley to drill even as thousands of other companies cut back on exploration and production. That made Parsley a rare standout in the ... (01/10/2018)
- Mixed, but steady bag for Norwegian oil and gas in 2018 - Jan. 10 (UPI) --Total production from Norway, one of the main oil and gas producers in Europe, should hold steady this year, but expect some marginal headwinds, an analysis finds. Apart from Russia, Norway is the top oil and natural gas supplier for the ... (01/10/2018)
- Lower Oil Prices? Shale's Working on It - It's theoretical, based on overall production multiplied by average monthly oil and gas prices and the number of workers multiplied by average hours and wages. So don't plug into a model or anything like that. However, it does suggest that, as of November ... (01/09/2018)
- Ineos Shale challenges Scottish government's oil, gas extraction ban - LONDON -- Ineos Shale has announced that, with its co-venture partner Reach, it has lodged a petition for judicial review of the recent decision by the Scottish Government to “effectively ban” onshore unconventional oil and gas extraction in Scotland ... (01/09/2018)
- Learning To Leverage Artificial Intelligence In Oil, Gas - After several years of research on machine learning algorithms running on oil and gas production data, Solution Seeker has developed a hierarchical neural network model that improves the predictive power for real-time production optimization. The model ... (01/09/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $32,553,975 on Oil & Gas Extraction. It has awarded 379 contracts to 38 companies, with an average value of $856,684 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|