|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Rooming & Boarding Houses
Overview of the U.S. Rooming & Boarding Houses IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Rooming & Boarding Houses: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Rooming & Boarding Houses industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Membership Dues & Fees
Room Or Unit Accommodation For Travelers & Others
Residential Room Or Unit Accommodation
Meals, Unpackaged Snacks, Sandwiches, Unpackaged Ice Cream & Yogurt, Bakery Items, Other Food Items & Nonalcoholic Beverages Prepared
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Rooming & Boarding Houses company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Rooming & Boarding Houses industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Rooming & Boarding Houses measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations||35%|
|Cooks and Food Preparation Workers||19%|
|Cooks, Institution and Cafeteria||8%|
|Cooks, All Other||7%|
|Food and Beverage Serving Workers||6%|
|Other Food Preparation and Serving Related Workers||9%|
|Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers||6%|
|Dining Room and Cafeteria Attendants and Bartender Helpers||6%|
|Building and Grounds Cleaning and Maintenance Occupations||24%|
|Building Cleaning and Pest Control Workers||21%|
|Building Cleaning Workers||21%|
|Maids and Housekeeping Cleaners||20%|
|Personal Care and Service Occupations||16%|
|Other Personal Care and Service Workers||15%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||10%|
Rooming & Boarding Houses Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Hostelling International Usa|
|Foxfield Riding School|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- EXCLUSIVE: Toronto Fire cracking down on illegal rooming houses - Toronto’s Fire Services has been cracking down on illegal rooming houses scattered ... broke out in the illegal boarding home she lived in on Elmhurst Drive. In October 2016, another fire in a Dufferin Street rooming house left a firefighter with serious ... (10/05/2017)
- Boarding house problems frustrate neighbors, Newton officials - The four Narcan doses administered by emergency personnel at the same address over a span of 61/2 hours that day triggered a renewed attention to rooming and boarding house operations. Within days of the incident, letters from Newton officials and 24th ... (06/18/2017)
- Dover rooming house fire leaves 15 men homeless - According to the latest inspection report of the rooming house, which is licensed by the state Department of Community Affairs' Bureau of Rooming and Boarding Houses, the structure last was inspected on Oct. 21. An inspector in September had ordered ... (01/14/2017)
- Landlords under pressure to improve rooming house conditions for vulnerable tenants - Rooming houses, or boarding houses, are designed to be temporary accommodation options for homeless people and people unable to break into Melbourne's private rental market. One rooming house tenant in Melbourne's north is claiming compensation from his ... (02/02/2015)
- South Omaha rooming house breezed through code violation deadlines before fatal fire - The Omaha Fire Department hasn’t revealed the cause of ... The ordinance would require rooming and boarding houses to register with the city, pay an annual fee and undergo an inspection. (01/13/2015)
- More children in dangerous rooming houses - There was also an 80 per cent rise in babies and young primary school students in potentially dangerous boarding houses, like the insect-riddled Oakleigh property - a total of 134 children younger than 10. Typically families living in rooming houses are ... (11/18/2014)
- Councilors Outraged at Lack of Rooming House Regulations - Rooming, boarding and lodging houses can be found throughout the city, and there has been a history of complaints from neighbors and city officials about alleged dangerous, disruptive and illegal activities. Last fall, when neighbors showed up before the ... (01/19/2012)
- South Orange wrestling with how to regulate rooming houses - Several suggestions, including a zone of five residential districts that would permit rooming and boarding houses, have come before both the planning board and the trustees. Residents living in or near the proposed districts where the houses would be ... (11/10/2009)
- Restrictions On Rooming Houses Proposed - EAST HARTFORD — Mayor Robert M. DeCrescenzo has proposed new zoning rules that would allow rooming houses to open only in certain industrial-zoned areas. DeCrescenzo said there are enough boarding houses in downtown East Hartford. His proposal would ... (07/08/1995)
- STATE CALLED LAX ON INSPECTING ROOMING HOMES - THE state's Bureau of Rooming and Boarding House Standards, set up by the Legislature last fall to inspect all of New Jersey's 3,500 rooming and boarding houses within a year, has accomplished only a fraction of its task. Officials in a number of cities in ... (07/05/1981)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $6,695,169 on Rooming & Boarding Houses. It has awarded 126 contracts to 18 companies, with an average value of $371,954 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Rooming & Boarding Houses to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
Meals, Snacks And Beverages Prepared For Immediate Consumption
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Rooming & Boarding Houses||Opportunity/Threat|
|Limited-Service Eating Places|
|Coffee Shops, Bagel, Donut & Ice Cream Shops|
|Hotels & Motels|
|Supermarkets & Grocery Stores|
|Cafeterias, Grill Buffets & Buffets|
Since sales from Rooming & Boarding Houses are a small fraction compared to other industries selling Meals, Snacks And Beverages Prepared For Immediate Consumption, companies in the Rooming & Boarding Houses industry have the opportunity to expand their product offering to take share from these adjacent industries.
Meals, Snacks And Beverages Prepared For Immediate Consumption Product Sales Report