|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Ship & Boat Building
Overview of the U.S. Ship & Boat Building IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Ship & Boat Building: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Ship & Boat Building Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Ship & Boat Building companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Ship & Boat Building company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Ship & Boat Building industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Ship & Boat Building measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||10%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||8%|
|Construction and Extraction Occupations||15%|
|Construction Trades Workers||13%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||6%|
|Assemblers and Fabricators||12%|
|Miscellaneous Assemblers and Fabricators||9%|
|Metal Workers and Plastic Workers||22%|
|Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Workers||13%|
|Welders, Cutters, Solderers, and Brazers||11%|
|Other Production Occupations||7%|
Ship & Boat Building Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Textron Ready Now to Build CUSVs for the Navy - Textron Systems is expecting a Milestone C decision from the Navy this year to begin production of the Common Unmanned Surface Vehicle (CUSV), an unmanned boat designed to tow ... “We’re ready to build now, Wayne Prender, Textron Systems vice president ... (01/11/2018)
- The Ritz-Carlton Yacht Collection Lays Keel for New Cruise Ship - Commemorative coins were welded to the ship's hull, and the first section of the ship was lowered into place in the building dock ... of the ship and a marina platform with kayaks and a speed boat. (01/11/2018)
- Jensen’s Proven Workboat Design Selected For NAVSEA New-Build - Jensen Maritime Consultants, a Crowley company, announced today that one of its proven workboat designs will be used by a Pacific Northwest boat builder to fulfill a ... which will provide ship- and sub-assist services, as well as other port operational ... (01/08/2018)
- Businessman builds boat to collect trash - Designed by Yang, the trash-collecting ship cost him about 530,000 yuan ($80,800) to build. Since it was put into use in May 2016, the ship has retrieved more than 2,000 cubic meters of garbage from the ocean. "I've earned some money from the ocean. (01/08/2018)
- Titanic II – the new replica ship will set sail in 2018 - READ MORE: 20 dead as boat capsizes in Senegal Palmer’s Blue Star Line is building the $600-million Titanic II based on its “unsinkable” predecessor, but has updated the design to meet modern safety requirements. The ship will carry enough ... (01/05/2018)
- Maine Is Home To The Oldest Model Ship Manufacturing Company In Country - But there's more to the building and the business inside than meets the eye. "Much, much more," said the President of Bluejacket Ship Crafters, Nic Damuck. "We're a manufacturing facility." They are making boats, just on a scale of a half inch equals one foot. (01/04/2018)
- Cruise Ships Have Made Bar Harbor Popular. But Have They Ruined It? - Rockefellers, Astors, Vanderbilts and Carnegies homesteaded here in Gilded Age style, building mammoth 1,000-room ... in town are relatively small, the big ships have to anchor out in the bay and use little boats to ferry passengers to town. (12/31/2017)
- Boat building class begins Jan. 8 in Bay City - The class will also begin a new project, a 20-foot triple kayak that will be finished in time for the next Tall Ship Celebration festival in July 2019. Boat building classes began in 1999 as a way to construct the small sailboats used by the Saginaw Bay ... (12/27/2017)
- Man builds pirate ship, sells for $80,000 on Craigslist - "I wanted to find an old boat that I could transform into something really cool," said Woodson. "My girlfriend asked: 'What are you going to do?' I don't know where it came from, but I said: 'I'm going to build a pirate ship.'" That's exactly what he did ... (05/23/2013)
- Building Pharaoh's Ship - NARRATOR: Building Pharaoh's Ship,... CHERYL WARD: Sails picking up water ... NARRATOR: Tom is painfully aware of the importance of a watertight ship. The last boat he built sank on its maiden voyage. TOM VOSMER: It's a very strange feeling, as your ... (01/12/2010)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $16,022,552,061 on Ship & Boat Building. It has awarded 23,904 contracts to 1,244 companies, with an average value of $12,879,865 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Can't find what you're looking for? We have over a thousand market research reports. Ask us and an analyst will help you find what you need.