Sound Recording Industries Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Sound Recording Industries
Overview of the U.S. Sound Recording Industries IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Sound Recording Industries: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Sound Recording Industries industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Compositions
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Compositions - In Broadcast Performances (I.E., Broadcast Performance Rights)
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Compositions - In Public Performances, Excluding Broadcast (I.E., Performance Rights, Excludi
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Compositions - To Reproduce And Distribute Recordings (I.E., Mechanical Rights)
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Compositions - In Television Programs (I.E., Television Synchronization Rights)
Licensing Of Rights To Use Musical Recordings
Musical Compact Discs
Electronic Musical Phonorecords
Print Music - Music Books
Print Music - Sheet Music, Folios, And Electronic Musical Text
Administration Of Copyrights For Others
Studio Recording Services For Music Clients
Studio Recording, Excluding Mixing Of Musical Recordings
Studio Recording, Including Mixing Of Musical Recordings
Studio Recording Services For Radio Material
Audiovisual Works Sold Directly To The Consumer
Postproduction Services For Audiovisual Works - Sound Editing And Design
Postproduction Services - Other Sound Services For Audiovisual Works
All Other Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Sound Recording Industries company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Sound Recording Industries industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Sound Recording Industries measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||6%|
|General and Operations Managers||6%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||10%|
|Business Operations Specialists||7%|
|Arts, Design, Entertainment, Sports, and Media Occupations||40%|
|Entertainers and Performers, Sports and Related Workers||7%|
|Media and Communication Workers||5%|
|Media and Communication Equipment Workers||25%|
|Broadcast and Sound Engineering Technicians and Radio Operators||23%|
|Audio and Video Equipment Technicians||7%|
|Sound Engineering Technicians||16%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||7%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||23%|
|Information and Record Clerks||5%|
|Secretaries and Administrative Assistants||5%|
|Secretaries and Administrative Assistants||5%|
|Other Office and Administrative Support Workers||5%|
Sound Recording Industries Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Sony BMG Music Entertainment||288|
|Concord Music Group|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Five tech innovations that changed the movie industry - It captures live action and playback, and features editing plug-ins and VR audio recording. The technology is expensive, but is helping shape the film industry, both in India, and globally. It appears as 3D, which it is actually not, and provides clear and ... (01/12/2018)
- Public libraries lend record numbers of eBooks and audiobooks in 2017 - Libraries continued to reach new audiences with their OverDrive platform, as juvenile and young adult eBooks and audiobooks -- including the industry's first digital Read-Alongs (synchronized eBook with audio narration audio) -- enjoyed record-setting ... (01/11/2018)
- Industry professionals praise Audio-Technica's AT5047 mic - The company's new cardioid condenser has recently been used on a wide variety of studio projects by a number of award-winning producers and engineers in the industry. Audio-Technica’s new AT5047 cardioid condenser studio microphone has recently been used ... (01/10/2018)
- Singing Machines Studio System Makes Anyone Sound Like a Star - Packed with functionality to resemble a professional recording studio, the Singing Machine Studio is the first karaoke machine ever to feature Auto-Tune®, the industry’s premier ... Developed by Antares Audio Technologies, Auto-Tune is widely ... (01/08/2018)
- Sound Recording Just 6% of Average Musician’s Income (Updated) - The same goes for recording artists who rely on sales of sound recordings,” DiCola writes. There is little doubt that the music industry has undergone drastic change, so it will be interesting to see how these percentages are affected in the coming years. (01/06/2018)
- Blockbuster year for China's film industry - [Photo provided to China Daily] Just like a suspense movie full of twists and turns, China's movie industry experienced a roller-coaster ride, soaring to end 2017 with a series of records, signifying a return to what industry insiders hope is a sound track ... (01/03/2018)
- Weekly Tech Reminders: Audio Editing, Tower Lighting & More - The announcer can read along with themself, getting the pacing and voice inflection the same, then at the selected edit point, the software will automatically drop into record....you just keep reading. This make the edit point sound natural with what came ... (01/02/2018)
- AI is music to recording industry's ears for recouping song royalties - Re:Sound and Bell Media, along with the record-label industry group Music Canada, announced in early December that they'd collaborated to make royalty collections more efficient at Bell's radio stations. The music-industry groups, having long pushed to ... (01/01/2018)
- Meet Laura Sisk, the Grammy-Winning Sound Engineer Behind Your Favorite Pop Hits - Here, sound engineer Laura Sisk talks about what it takes ... I’d love to inspire more women to pursue the technical side of the music industry.” Sisk even builds private recording studios for her clients in her spare time. RELATED: The Best New ... (01/01/2018)
- Research and Markets: 2013 U.S. Sound Recording Studios Industry-Industry & Market Report - has announced the addition of the "2013 U.S. Sound Recording Studios Industry-Industry & Market Report" report to their offering. The U.S. Sound Recording Studios Industry-Industry & Market Report, published annually, contains timely and accurate industry ... (05/14/2013)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $37,954,206 on Sound Recording Industries. It has awarded 175 contracts to 79 companies, with an average value of $480,433 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Sound Recording Industries to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
Postproduction Services For Av Works - Sound Editing & Design
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Sound Recording Industries||Opportunity/Threat|
|Video Postproduction Services|
|Teleproduction & Other Postproduction Services|
|Sound Recording & Audio Production Studios||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Postproduction Services For Av Works - Sound Editing & Design are less than those from Sound Recording Industries. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Postproduction Services For Av Works - Sound Editing & Design sales, taking market share from this industry.
Postproduction Services For Av Works - Sound Editing & Design Product Sales Report