Surveying & Mapping Services Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Surveying & Mapping Services
Overview: the U.S. Surveying & Mapping Services Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Surveying & Mapping Services:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Surveying & Mapping Services industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Geospatial Photo And Image Acquisition
Geospatial Photo And Image Processing
Integrated Surveying And Mapping Services
Topographic And Planimetric Surveying And Mapping Services
Hydrographic And Bathymetric Surveying And Mapping Services
Boundary, Property Line, And Cadastral Surveying And Mapping Services
Surveying And Mapping Services - Subdivision Layout And Design Services
Construction Surveying Services
Geodetic Surveying And Ground Control Support Services
Gis (Geographic Information System) Custom Software Design And Development Services
All Other Receipts
All Other Operating Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Surveying & Mapping Services company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Surveying & Mapping Services industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Surveying & Mapping Services measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||6%|
|Computer and Mathematical Occupations||5%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||50%|
|Architects, Surveyors, and Cartographers||9%|
|Architects, Except Naval||6%|
|Architects, Except Landscape and Naval||6%|
|Drafters, Engineering Technicians, and Mapping Technicians||16%|
|Architectural and Civil Drafters||5%|
|Engineering Technicians, Except Drafters||6%|
|Life, Physical, and Social Science Occupations||6%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||11%|
Surveying & Mapping Services Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Mda Information Systems||11|
|Utility Risk Management||7|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Avoiding Vendor Lock-In Carries a Variety of Benefits and Challenges - A recent RightScale survey found that 85% of enterprises have embraced a multi ... organizations can improve their overall enterprise performance by mapping unique workloads to different cloud offerings based on requirements. They can also diversify ... (01/12/2018)
- AXIS-GPS to Provide Applanix Products and Solutions for Land and Air Survey Customers in Israel - The company imports and markets measuring instruments and provides assimilation and training services for use in the devices ... GIS data acquisition, aerial surveying and mapping, railroad track maintenance, and seafloor mapping. Established in 1991 ... (01/11/2018)
- ABRIS DG Drones Capture Mapping Data in Extreme Conditions - ABRIS Design Group, out of Ukraine, has been providing products and services in light and ... from some of the other aerial mapping tools that are currently available? ABRIS DG products are used for different survey and aerial photography applications. (01/10/2018)
- Professor Andrew Markus will present findings on Mapping Social Cohesion - The 10th Scanlon Foundation Mapping Social Cohesion Survey in 2017 builds on the knowledge gained ... members of the police and justice departments, health services, or any member of the public who is interested in better understanding the concept of ... (01/08/2018)
- Executive Order Will Drive Demand for Surveying and Mapping - Palatiello & Associates, Inc., (www.jmpa.us) a public affairs consulting firm located in Reston, Virginia, providing government affairs and association management services to firms and organizations in the surveying, mapping, geospatial, and engineering ... (01/04/2018)
- NV5 acquires Skyscene to add unmanned aerial mapping - However, the use of drones equipped with LiDAR is expected to provide the company’s customers with higher resolution mapping, faster mobilization and more cost-effective services than could be achieved using manned aircraft or traditional survey methods. (01/03/2018)
- GNSS & Surveying 2017: The year in review - As another holiday season passes us by, it is customary to look back at the year and recall the trends, new products and services, and breakthroughs ... Let us look back at what the surveying community experienced with the GNSS industry: GNSS continued ... (01/02/2018)
- Global Surveying & Mapping Services Market 2017 Size, Share, Growth, Trends, Type, Application, Analysis and Forecast by 2022 - Surveying & Mapping Services comprises services which are primarily engaged in conducting survey and mapping services of the surface of the earth, including the sea floor. These services may also include surveying and mapping of areas above or below the ... (12/29/2017)
- Surveying & Mapping Services Market: - Surveying & Mapping Services comprises services which are primarily engaged in conducting survey and mapping services of the surface of the earth, including the sea floor. These services may also include surveying and mapping of areas above or below the ... (12/29/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $360,256,199 on Surveying & Mapping Services. It has awarded 1,935 contracts to 327 companies, with an average value of $1,101,701 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Surveying & Mapping Services to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Surveying & Mapping Services||Opportunity/Threat|
|Research & Development in the Physical, Engineering & Life Sciences|
|Custom Computer Programming & Software Development Services|
|Computer Systems Design Services||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Engineering Services are less than those from Surveying & Mapping Services. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Engineering Services sales, taking market share from this industry.
Engineering Services Product Sales Report
Licensing Of Rights To Use Intellectual Property
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Surveying & Mapping Services||Opportunity/Threat|
|Research & Development in Biotechnology|
|Condominium & Homeowner's Associations & Athletic Associations|
|Corporate, Subsidiary & Regional Managing Offices|
|Offices of Other Holding Companies|
Since sales from Surveying & Mapping Services are a small fraction compared to other industries selling Licensing Of Rights To Use Intellectual Property, companies in the Surveying & Mapping Services industry have the opportunity to expand their product offering to take share from these adjacent industries.
Licensing Of Rights To Use Intellectual Property Product Sales Report
Licensing Of Rights To Intellectual Prop - Protected By Copyright
Licensing Of Rights To Intellectual Prop - Protected By Copyright Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Photogrammetric mapping services, Cadastral surveying services, Topographic mapping services, Surveying and mapping services (except geophysical), Hydrographic mapping services, Mapping (except geophysical) services, Geographic information system (GIS) base mapping services, Geodetic surveying services, Geospatial mapping services, Cartographic surveying services, Topographic surveying services, Land surveying services, Construction surveying services, Aerial surveying (except geophysical) services, Hydrographic surveying services, etc.