|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Telephone Answering Services
Overview of the U.S. Telephone Answering Services IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Telephone Answering Services: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Telephone Answering Services industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Telephone Answering And Messaging Services, Including Contact/Call Center Services
All Other Receipts
All Other Operating Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Telephone Answering Services company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Telephone Answering Services industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Telephone Answering Services measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||31%|
|Other Sales and Related Workers||26%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||58%|
|Information and Record Clerks||47%|
|Customer Service Representatives||45%|
|Customer Service Representatives||45%|
Telephone Answering Services Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Aardvarks Answering Service|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Moneypenny acquires MadeSimple Group - “It provides a great opportunity for us to accelerate the growth of our digital products and services, such as Pocket Phone System, Mobile Answering App and Live Chat. “We are experts in helping small businesses prosper and believe that our respective ... (01/09/2018)
- Phone-answering supplier to expand agency services after acquisition - Moneypenny is pledging to expand the services to offers to agents following the acquisition of a firm creating business products and services for start-ups and small companies. Moneypenny already handles 1.3m calls annually for over 1,600 property firms ... (01/09/2018)
- How Workplace Culture Leads To Business Success - As the CEO of an answering service, I see firsthand how important this is ... The virtual receptionist answering the phone for that customer should simply make the change to the account themselves. Not only will this give your employees more confidence ... (01/09/2018)
- MadeSimple Group acquired by call answering service Moneypenny - “It provides a great opportunity for us to accelerate the growth of our digital products and services, such as Pocket Phone System, Mobile Answering App and Live Chat.” (01/09/2018)
- Minister Lebouthillier announces improvements to tax filing services for Canadians - The Honourable Diane Lebouthillier, Minister of National Revenue, today announced the launch of a new automated telephone filing service called File my Return ... income tax and benefit returns simply by answering a series of short questions and giving ... (01/08/2018)
- Stop answering your phone - Such as: For heaven’s sake, stop answering your phone. But our phones are changing us ... “If Bell had invented a muffler or gag, he would have done a real service,” Twain also complained. “Here we have been hollering ‘shut up’ to our neighbors ... (01/06/2018)
- Microsoft Could Be Working on iPhone Companion Device for Easier Phone Calls - In fact, the last few months brought us evidence that the software giant is exploring several ways to remain in an active player in mobile, and in addition to apps and services released ... such as launching Skype or answering a phone call. (01/02/2018)
- Phone Scam Warning - In some cases, when the number is not masked, the victims have called it back to find an answering ... paper service from a Deputy or Process Server, or face to face contact with an officer. Law Enforcement and the Courts do contact people by phone ... (12/28/2017)
- Pittsburgh Answering Service - Promote your business through our innovative Marketplace system! It's free to sign up! As published in the Rochester Post Bulletin. As published in the Rochester Post Bulletin. As published in the Rochester Post Bulletin. As published in the Rochester Post ... (05/19/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $76,421,700 on Telephone Answering Services. It has awarded 478 contracts to 113 companies, with an average value of $676,298 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Telephone Answering Services to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
Telephone Answering & Messaging Services
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Telephone Answering Services||Opportunity/Threat|
|Telemarketing & Call Centers|
|Telemarketing Bureaus & Contact Centers||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Telephone Answering & Messaging Services are less than those from Telephone Answering Services. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Telephone Answering & Messaging Services sales, taking market share from this industry.
Telephone Answering & Messaging Services Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Telephone answering services, Voice mailbox services, Answering services, telephone, Message services, telephone answering, Wakeup call services, etc.
Can't find what you're looking for? We have over a thousand market research reports. Ask us and an analyst will help you find what you need.