|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Commuter Rail Systems
Overview of the U.S. Commuter Rail Systems IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Commuter Rail Systems: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Commuter Rail Systems company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Commuter Rail Systems industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Commuter Rail Systems measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||9%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||10%|
|Vehicle and Mobile Equipment Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers||7%|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||7%|
|Bus and Truck Mechanics and Diesel Engine Specialists||7%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||75%|
|Motor Vehicle Operators||67%|
|Bus Drivers, Transit and Intercity||60%|
Commuter Rail Systems Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Southern California Regional Rail Authority|
|Northeast Illinois Regional Commuter Railroad|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Commuter Rail Service on Newburyport/Rockport Line Canceled - Despite the commuter rail’s failures, members of the MBTA’s Fiscal and Management Control Board praised T employees for their consistent efforts to clear the ice and snow from the system’s tracks, switches, and signals. “[I want to] express my ... (01/14/2018)
- Rail advocates pitch commuter line from Napa County to Marin, Solano - In addition to linking the SMART system to Solano County and beyond ... should make those cities the main target for the first stage of a commuter line, the rail group argued. TRAC cited U.S. Census Bureau figures showing that an average of 12,205 daily ... (01/14/2018)
- Normal commuter rail schedule this weekend, but Monday service awaits testing - ... that the system is operating reliably, Scorey said. Commuter rail service operates on a weekday schedule Monday, Jan. 15. Passengers traveling Monday should check MBTA.com, follow MBTA_CR on Twitter and sign up for T-Alerts to stay informed of service. (01/13/2018)
- Commuter rail schedule to resume this weekend - ... and that the system is operating reliably, Scorey said. Commuter rail service operates on a weekday schedule this Monday. Passengers traveling Monday should check MBTA.com, follow MBTA_CR on Twitter and sign up for T-Alerts to stay informed of service. (01/13/2018)
- Commuter rail is T's weakest link - The recent cold snap combined with last Thursday's major snowstorm presented the MBTA's subway and commuter-rail systems with their first major winter test since Gov. Charlie Baker's $100 million overhaul of both services' equipment and management. (01/12/2018)
- Alaska Gov. Walker calls for commuter-rail study - The nine-member Commuter Rail Advisory Task Force will study initial ... "This new group will make sure our rail system is reaching its full potential." The panel's members will include mayors from the affected communities, as well as a representative ... (01/10/2018)
- Boston Transit System Scolds Rail Operator For Poor Storm Service - Written by The Associated Press on January 7, 2018 4:33 pm. BOSTON (AP) — Massachusetts transit officials are admonishing the operator of the state's commuter rail system for poor service during and after the winter storm that walloped the Northeast last ... (01/08/2018)
- MBTA warns customers of commuter rail delays, cancellations due to extreme cold - while hundreds of MBTA employees and contractors work to keep the system functioning, due to extreme cold and heavy snow this past weekend, officials said. While most MBTA services will run on schedule there are two morning commuter rail trips that will ... (01/08/2018)
- MBTA scolds Keolis over ‘disappointing’ day on commuter rail - The commuter rail system froze up in the aftermath of Thursday’s snowstorm, as delays, cancellations, and breakdowns stymied the MBTA during its most serious cold-weather test since the epic service collapse of 2015. Already frustrated in recent months ... (01/06/2018)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $3,851,929 on Commuter Rail Systems. It has awarded 75 contracts to 3 companies, with an average value of $1,283,976 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Growth Opportunities / Competitive ThreatsCompanies in other industries may also sell similar products. Since there is an overlap in the customer base, there may be an opportunity for companies in Commuter Rail Systems to sell additional products/services offered by these adjacent industries. Alternatively, these industries may identify further products in this industry to target. Products most at risk are those with the highest profit margins and lowest barriers to entry.
The following industries are competing channels for sales of similar products/services.
Local, Fixed-Route Passenger Trans By Road And Transit Rail
|Competing Industry||Sales Relative to Commuter Rail Systems||Opportunity/Threat|
|Bus & Automobile Transit Systems|
|Mixed Mode Transit Systems||Competing industry|
|Limousine Service||Competing industry|
Sales from other industries of Local, Fixed-Route Passenger Trans By Road And Transit Rail are less than those from Commuter Rail Systems. This may mean that other channels are a competitive risk of increasing their Local, Fixed-Route Passenger Trans By Road And Transit Rail sales, taking market share from this industry.
Local, Fixed-Route Passenger Trans By Road And Transit Rail Product Sales Report
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Railway systems (except mixed mode), commuter, Suburban commuter rail systems (except mixed mode), Local passenger rail systems (except mixed mode), Commuter rail systems (except mixed mode), Rail transportation (except mixed mode), Urban commuter rail systems (except mixed mode), etc.
Can't find what you're looking for? We have over a thousand market research reports. Ask us and an analyst will help you find what you need.