Instant Download - Available immediately
Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Solid Waste Collection
Overview of the U.S. Solid Waste Collection IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Solid Waste Collection: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Solid Waste Collection industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Number of Companies||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Non-Hazardous Waste And Recyclable Material Subcontracted Collection Services
Non-Hazardous Waste And Recyclable Material Collection Services, Residential
Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services, Residential
Recyclable Material Collection Services, Residential
Non-Hazardous Waste And Recyclable Material Collection Services, Non-Residential
Recyclable Material Collection Services, Non-Residential
Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services, Non-Residential, Industrial
Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services, Non-Residential, Non-Industrial
Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services, Construction And Demolition Sites
Other Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services
All Other Non-Hazardous Waste Collection Services, Including Snowplowing Services
Non-Hazardous Waste And Recyclable Material Consolidation, Storage, And Preparation Services
Non-Hazardous Waste Transfer Facility Services
Recyclable Material Recovery And Preparation Services
Non-Hazardous Waste And Recyclable Material Transportation Services
Non-Hazardous Waste Disposal Services
Non-Hazardous Waste Landfilling Services
Sale Of Non-Hazardous Waste, Including Recovered Methane Gas, Compost, And Recyclable Materials
All Other Receipts
All Other Operating Receipts
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Solid Waste Collection Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Solid Waste Collection companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Solid Waste Collection company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Solid Waste Collection industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Solid Waste Collection measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||12%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||7%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||68%|
|Motor Vehicle Operators||22%|
|Driver/Sales Workers and Truck Drivers||22%|
|Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers||21%|
|Material Moving Workers||42%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||8%|
|Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand||8%|
|Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors||32%|
|Refuse and Recyclable Material Collectors||32%|
Solid Waste Collection Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Waste Connections Announces Dates For Fourth Quarter 2017 Earnings Release And 2018 Outlook - About Waste Connections Waste Connections is an integrated solid waste services company that provides waste collection, transfer, disposal and recycling services in mostly exclusive and secondary markets in the U.S. and Canada . Through its R360 ... (01/10/2018)
- Waste plant ready for full-time ops - The solid waste project was introduced in the state capital under the Jawaharlal Nehru National Urban Renewal Mission (JNNURM) scheme nearly eight years ago, and was executed in two broad phases. While the first phase of door-to-door collection began in ... (01/10/2018)
- Meridian Waste Solutions (MRDN) Acquires Wilson Waste Systems - Wilson Waste provides residential and commercial collection and disposal services to approximately ... “Wilson Waste has developed a solid base of customers with long-term contracts adding immediate waste volume into our landfill in Bowling Green. (01/10/2018)
- ACUA introduces 2018 wastewater and solid waste budgets with no increases - The total solid waste budget for 2018 is $34,433,922 ... including shared service contracts for collection services, pump station maintenance and outside sludge. Revenue from EcoProducts and recyclables also helps the authority to keep rates stable ... (01/08/2018)
- City to host public meetings about new waste collection method - The benefits of cart-based trash collections can include cleaner and safer alleys and neighborhoods, improved collection efficiency, cost savings and equal services city-wide, according to the release. For more information, call the Solid Waste department ... (01/02/2018)
- Judge blocks most of a 'War on Louisville' law, upholds countywide waste planning - A new five-year solid waste plan approved by the new and expanded waste board ... by another mayor wanting to take my home rule right to control my city’s trash collection,” Dieruf said in a March 28 email obtained by the Courier-Journal. (01/02/2018)
- New bulk trash collection begins Jan. 1 in unincorporated Orange County - The solid-waste division has averaged about 9,000 calls a month over the past year for special pickups, said Jamie Floer, a spokeswoman for Orange County Utilities, which oversees waste collection. It generated lots of complaints, said Jim Becker ... (12/30/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $205,531,269 on Solid Waste Collection. It has awarded 5,234 contracts to 840 companies, with an average value of $244,680 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Trash hauling, local, Garbage hauling, Garbage collection services, Garbage pick-up services, Rubbish (i.e., nonhazardous solid waste) hauling, Trash collection services, Waste hauling, nonhazardous solid, Refuse hauling, Recyclable material collection services, Recyclable material hauling, Refuse collection services, Waste transfer stations, Rubbish collection services, Ash collection services, Waste collection services, Ash hauling, etc.