Instant Download - Available immediately
Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Commercial Bakeries
Overview of the U.S. Commercial Bakeries IndustryCommercial bakeries are moving beyond basic breads and pastries and have been innovating with new technology and products. Private equity interest in the sector has further intensified competition.
Commercial bakeries sell products such as bread and cookies directly to consumers under their own brands and provide private label bakery products to retailers. Competition is strong, with variable material and transportation costs making volume and geography pricing challenges. As well, the industry must closely monitor its production quality to maintain customers and adhere to state and federal regulation. These characteristics reduce profits and make expansion difficult.
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Commercial Bakeries: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Commercial Bakeries industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Bread (White, Wheat, Rye.), Including Frozen
Rolls, Bread-Type (Including Muffins, Bagels, And Croissants), Including Frozen
Soft Cakes, Excluding Frozen
Pies (Fruit, Cream, And Custard), Excluding Frozen
Other Sweet Goods, Excluding Frozen
Commercial Bakeries, Not Categorized, Total
Frozen Cakes, Pies, And Other Pastries Manufacturing
Frozen Cakes, Pies, And Other Pastries
Cookie And Cracker Manufacturing
Crackers, Biscuits, And Related Products
Cookies, Wafers, And Ice Cream Cones And Cups (Excluding Frozen)
Dry Pasta, Dough, And Flour Mixes Manufacturing From Purchased Flour
Prepared Flour Mixes, Including Refrigerated And Frozen Doughs And Batters, Made From Purchased Flour
Total Miscellaneous Receipts
Resales - Sales Of Products Bought And Sold Without Further Manufacture, Processing, Or Assembly
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Commercial Bakeries Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Commercial Bakeries companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Commercial Bakeries company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Commercial Bakeries industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Commercial Bakeries measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations||8%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||11%|
|Retail Sales Workers||9%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||6%|
|Food Processing Workers||30%|
|Miscellaneous Food Processing Workers||12%|
|Other Production Occupations||15%|
|Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders||6%|
|Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders||6%|
|Miscellaneous Production Workers||6%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||14%|
|Material Moving Workers||10%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||9%|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||6%|
Commercial Bakeries Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Steck Wholesale Foods||2|
|Voortman Cookies Limited|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Everything is here: Her life, her home, her son. Now she's being told to leave - Along Bergenline Avenue, one of its main commercial strips, Salvadoran bakeries and restaurants have opened alongside businesses owned by immigrants who arrived before them. El Salvador, a country of 6.2 million people about the size of New Jersey ... (01/10/2018)
- Culinary talent from New York lured by Portland’s shorter commutes, slower pace - Damian Sansonetti and Ilma Lopez were working for renowned New York chef Daniel Boulud when Rod Mitchell, owner of Browne Trading Co. on Commercial Street in Portland ... brought national recognition to Tandem Bakery, had been a baker at Pies ‘n ... (01/10/2018)
- Organic Bakery Products Market 2018 Global Trend, Growth, Demand, Size, Segmentation and Opportunities Forecast To 2025 - 2.2 Manufacturing Cost Structure Analysis of Organic Bakery Products 2.3 Manufacturing Process Analysis ... Plants Analysis of Organic Bakery Products 3.1 Capacity and Commercial Production Date of Global Organic Bakery Products Major Manufacturers in ... (01/10/2018)
- Italy nabs mob clan controlling bakeries, funerals, migrants - Prosecutors in southern Italy said the 'ndrangheta's Farao-Marincola clan had its hand in just about every commercial enterprise in the Calabrian ... forced to buy bread from the one mob-controlled bakery in town. And they said that Italian restaurants ... (01/09/2018)
- Italy nabs mob clan controlling bakeries, funerals and more - Prosecutors in southern Italy said Tuesday the ‘ndrangheta’s Farao-Marincola clan had its hand in just about every commercial enterprise in the ... forced to buy bread from the one mob-controlled bakery in town. And they said in a statement that ... (01/09/2018)
- After nearly 14 years, family still enjoys operating Viroqua bakery - Dan, who has more than 37 years of commercial baking experience, ran the Skogen’s IGA central bakery in Onalaska for three years in the late 1980s. WHAT: A bakery that owners Dan and Sue Thom opened in March 2004. Their daughter, Jessica Garrity ... (01/08/2018)
- Upper St. Clair woman opens Carnegie bakery, restaurant serving Uber Eats customers - Stacey Harris of Upper St. Clair has opened a commercial kitchen in Carnegie as a virtual bakery and restaurant for local delivery and catering via Uber Eats. It includes her bakery, The Diabetic Pastry Chef, and her delivery restaurant, Nellie J's ... (01/06/2018)
- Third Coast Bakery Opening Its First Retail Location in Traverse City - Currently, the bakery operates out of a licensed, commercial kitchen in Suttons Bay, supplying more than 30 retail locations, Munson Hospital, and several area grocery stores. They also sell directly to customers at area farmers’ markets and online ... (12/28/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $82,731,440 on Commercial Bakeries. It has awarded 18,674 contracts to 168 companies, with an average value of $492,449 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Knishes (except frozen) made in commercial bakeries, Biscuits, bread-type, made in commercial bakeries, Communion wafer manufacturing, Commercial bakeries, Croissants, baking, Rolls and buns (including frozen) made in commercial bakeries, Soft pretzels made in a commercial bakery, Bread and bread-type rolls made in commercial bakeries, Bakery products, fresh (i.e., bread, cakes, doughnuts, pastries), Doughnuts (except frozen) made in commercial bakeries, Unleavened bread made in commercial bakeries, Pies, fresh, Cakes, baking (except frozen), Bagels made in commercial bakeries, Pastries (e.g., Danish, French), Matzo baking made in commercial bakeries, Crullers (except frozen) made in commercial bakeries, Pretzels, soft, manufacturing, Frozen bread and bread-type rolls, Sweet yeast goods (except frozen) manufacturing, Croutons and bread crumbs made in commercial bakeries, etc.