Retail Bakeries Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Retail Bakeries
Overview: the U.S. Retail Bakeries IndustryLike many industries, retail bakeries see rising costs in fuel, health care, and other expenditures cut into their bottom line and increase the cost of doing business. However, there has been an uptick in demand, including trends such as cupcake stores and gluten-free baked goods.
Despite economic worries, the industry is expanding its customer base while other food service sectors continue to suffer. Consumers are now willing to spend moderately and demand high quality for their dollar; an equation for which retail bakeries are a solution. The most promising sector for the retail baking is cakes. Wedding cakes in particular are gaining ground as the economy rebounds.
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Retail Bakeries:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Retail Bakeries industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Retail Bakery Products
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Retail Bakeries Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Retail Bakeries companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Retail Bakeries company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Retail Bakeries industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Retail Bakeries measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Food Preparation and Serving Related Occupations||8%|
|Sales and Related Occupations||11%|
|Retail Sales Workers||9%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||6%|
|Food Processing Workers||30%|
|Miscellaneous Food Processing Workers||12%|
|Other Production Occupations||15%|
|Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders||6%|
|Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders||6%|
|Miscellaneous Production Workers||6%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||14%|
|Material Moving Workers||10%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||9%|
|Packers and Packagers, Hand||6%|
Retail Bakeries Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Apple Creek Bakeries|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Retail Food Group cuts profit forecast - Investors punished the struggling franchise group behind Donut King, Crust Gourmet Pizza and Brumby's Bakery after it warned it will not meet its first-half profit forecast made just last month. Retail Food Group said its first-half net profit would be ... (01/10/2018)
- Keeping up with the rapid pace of change at retail - CHICAGO — The retail marketplace for food and beverages is undergoing dramatic changes, according to the International Dairy-Deli-Bakery Association’s (I.D.D.B.A.), Madison, Wis., recently released What’s in Store 2018, the 32nd installment of the ... (01/09/2018)
- Retail Food Group shares fall - again - Retail Food Group shares have taken another hit after the cafe and bakery owner issued its second profit warning in less than a month. The Gloria Jean's, Donut King and Brumby's Bakery owner says half year net profit is now expected to be lower than the $ ... (01/09/2018)
- Wholesome Bakery Opens for Gluten-Free, Vegan Goodies on Divisadero - Before securing the new, dedicated bakery and retail space, Harper operated a counter inside Mission District retail store Alite, which she’s now closed. Her prime new location — directly across the street from the latest Sightglass Coffee shop — is ... (01/09/2018)
- From oil industry to coffee, Higher Grounds Coffee Shoppe & Bakery shepherds Ken Murphy’s outreach - After founding two successful companies in the oil industry, Ken Murphy opened nonprofit Higher Grounds Coffee Shoppe & Bakery in 2014. (Jacob Threadgill) “Coffee is the unifying thing,” Murphy said seated in the warm retail space surrounded by wood ... (01/07/2018)
- New Aldi store model leads with produce and features in-store bakery - In-store bakery sales are set to grow, predicted panelists in Progressive Grocer's 2016 Retail Bakery Review. Contacted by Food Dive, a spokeswoman for Aldi noted that the new format is an example of how the company is "continually testing new and ... (01/04/2018)
- Retail giant Aeon evolves to engage Japan’s aging customer base - Retail giant Aeon Co. has renovated 13 outlets across the country ... At a mall in the Kasai area in eastern Tokyo, a bookstore, gym, bakery and cafe all open at 7 a.m., and a sports goods retailer even offers early bird discounts. The area’s ... (01/04/2018)
- Popular Oakmont Bakery plans move, expansion - “That’s what should pop out.” The current space problems would be alleviated. Right now, the bakery has 3,500 square feet for retail and another 3,500 square feet for production. To get the products from production to the display cases, workers have ... (01/04/2018)
- Third Coast Bakery Opening Its First Retail Location in Traverse City - Third Coast Bakery was created with one mission: to provide incredibly delicious treats to everyone, regardless of food sensitivities, allergies, or intolerances. Everyone is welcome at Third Coast Bakery, where the menu is gluten-free, dairy-free, soy ... (12/28/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $284,965 on Retail Bakeries. It has awarded 30 contracts to 11 companies, with an average value of $25,906 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Bakeries with baking from flour on the premises, retailing not for immediate consumption, etc.