Instant Download - Available immediately
Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Sawmills
Overview of the U.S. Sawmills IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Sawmills: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Sawmills industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Hardwood Lumber, Made In Sawmills
Softwood Lumber, Made In Sawmills
Wood Chips, Excluding Field Chips
Wood Ties, Siding, Shingles, And Shakes, And Contract Sawing Of Logs Owned By Others
Sawmills, Not Categorized, Total
Softwood Veneer And Plywood Manufacturing
Cut Stock, Resawing Lumber, And Planing
Softwood Lumber, Made From Purchased Lumber
Total Miscellaneous Receipts
Resales - Sales Of Products Bought And Sold Without Further Manufacture, Processing, Or Assembly
Miscellaneous Receipts, Including Receipts For Repair Work, Sales Of Scrap And Refuse.
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Sawmills Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Sawmills companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Sawmills company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Sawmills industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Sawmills measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||6%|
|Farming, Fishing, and Forestry Occupations||5%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||7%|
|Other Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||6%|
|Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders||26%|
|Sawing Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Wood||20%|
|Woodworking Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Except Sawing||6%|
|Other Production Occupations||10%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||29%|
|Material Moving Workers||24%|
|Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators||6%|
|Industrial Truck and Tractor Operators||6%|
|Laborers and Material Movers, Hand||17%|
|Laborers and Freight, Stock, and Material Movers, Hand||12%|
Sawmills Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
|Hills Products Group|
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Support for Sapphire WSA release - They said they need to start up a least 30 sawmills to take all the dead trees. Many of the hiking trails are all blown in and lost forever. In 2011, 400,000 tress blew over in on night. There is no money to open all these wonderful trails because the ... (01/10/2018)
- Martha Dixon, Andalusia philanthropist and longtime friend of Auburn University, passes away - Shortly after the sale of the Dixon Family timber enterprise in 1976, which included sawmills, turpentine stills, gristmills and farms, the Dixons formed the Solon and Martha Dixon Foundation in support of forestry education, the arts, health organizations ... (01/09/2018)
- CARROLL: Study shows a divided America - This was true a couple of decades ago in the timber industry. Sawmills became automated and no longer needed dozens of workers to sort lumber. The result was those same workers found new ways to make new products from sawmill waste products and increased ... (01/09/2018)
- Mumbai fires raise questions about fire safety in India - But the Comptroller and Auditor General of India, the country's federal audit body, warned last year that fire disasters were possible in highrise buildings, petrol stations, sawmills and firecracker shops, among other places in Maharashtra. The group ... (01/09/2018)
- Opinion: What Leonardo da Vinci can teach us about water - It inspired him to propose the application of water power for useful purposes, from water-driven sawmills to forges, flour mills, factories and silk spinning works. And though he was a peace-loving, vegetarian hippie dude well before his time, he wasn’t ... (01/08/2018)
- Compost bedded pack barns offer cow comfort and higher milk production - Probert says southwestern Missouri’s many sawmills give livestock owners an ample supply of finely ground sawdust for packing. The sawdust provides livestock with soft, safe resting and walking areas. Livestock operators till the sawdust, which contains ... (01/05/2018)
- Working on her next 100 years - They moved to Prince George and Greg worked at Rustad Sawmills as their first aid man until he retired from the company. Greg was born in the spring of 1913 and sadly he passed away in December 2013; just three months before he would have turned 101. (01/04/2018)
- Tredegar man who died at sawmills named - A TREDEGAR man who died following an accident at a sawmills has been named. The inquest into the death of Roman Grzegorz Kokot was opened and adjourned by Herefordshire Coroner’s Court last week. The 32-year-old man died following an accident at ... (01/04/2018)
- Tesla had worse safety records than slaughterhouses and sawmills, but says it's improving - Elon Musk is moving as fast as he can to replace human workers with robots, but right now he’s dealing with some serious flesh-and-blood issues. Tesla Motors Inc., the electric car company he runs, is under fire for its record on workplace safety. (05/24/2017)
- Sawmills studio, Cornwall: A hit with all the family - As male activities go, ours is pretty harmless. No motorbikes, no sports cars and no foolish crushes on the au pair. This is not, however, a guarantee of acceptability. "Midlife crisis," said my wife, when I told her what I and a few friends planned to do. (05/16/2010)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $3,272,529 on Sawmills. It has awarded 186 contracts to 66 companies, with an average value of $49,584 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Ties, wood, made from logs or bolts, Stud mills, Shingles, sawed or hand split, manufacturing, Shakes (i.e., hand split shingles) manufacturing, Poles, made from from log or bolts, Siding, dressed lumber, Lumber, hardwood dimension, Dimension lumber, softwood, Pressure treated lumber made from logs or bolts and treated, Siding mills, Flitches (i.e., veneer stock) made in sawmills, Boards, Sawmills, hardwood, Beams, Ceiling lumber, Timbers, softwood dimension, Chipper mills (except portable), Wood chips made in sawmills, Shingle mills, Sawdust and shavings (i.e., sawmill byproducts) manufacturing, Lumber (i.e., rough, dressed) made from logs or bolts, railroad, Custom sawmills, Sawed lumber made in sawmills, etc.