|Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Current State of the Industry|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Statistics|
|Public Company Information|
|Key Private Companies|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Iron Mining
Overview: the U.S. Iron Mining Industry
This section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry Statistics
The total U.S. industry market size for Iron Mining:
Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders.
In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Iron Mining Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Iron Mining companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Iron Mining company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Iron Mining industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Iron Mining measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||1%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||7%|
|Construction and Extraction Occupations||33%|
|Construction Trades Workers||12%|
|Construction Equipment Operators||6%|
|Operating Engineers and Other Construction Equipment Operators||6%|
|Mining Machine Operators||11%|
|Continuous Mining Machine Operators||7%|
|Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||21%|
|Vehicle and Mobile Equipment Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers||9%|
|Other Installation, Maintenance, and Repair Occupations||9%|
|Industrial Machinery Installation, Repair, and Maintenance Workers||6%|
|Other Production Occupations||8%|
|Transportation and Material Moving Occupations||11%|
|Motor Vehicle Operators||6%|
|Heavy and Tractor-Trailer Truck Drivers||5%|
Iron Mining Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Iron Ore Mining News - China’s global resource grab, and the ramifications for the rest of the world, are on my radar screen. Are they on yours? If not, maybe they should be. Data obtained from the Arkyd-6 will be use in the development of the Arkyd-301, Planetary Resources ... (01/12/2018)
- Sajjan Jindal to govt: Let PSUs take over production at seven iron ore mines in Odisha - Sajjan Jindal, Chairman and Managing Director, JSW Group, has urged the government to allow public sector companies to take over production at seven iron ore mines in Odisha that have defaulted on penalty payment levied by the Supreme Court for breaching ... (01/12/2018)
- Let PSUs handles seven iron ore mines in Odisha – Mr Sajan Jindal - The Hindu Business Line quoted Mr Sajjan Jindal, Chairman and Managing Director, JSW Group has urged that government to allow public sector companies to take over production at seven iron ore mines in Odisha that have defaulted on penalty payment levied by ... (01/12/2018)
- Howse Property Iron Mine Project - Public Comments Invited - OTTAWA, Jan. 11, 2018 /CNW/ - The Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency (the Agency) is conducting a federal environmental assessment for the proposed Howse Property Iron Mine Project, located in Newfoundland and Labrador. The Agency invites the public ... (01/11/2018)
- Report: Dickinson mine dangers persist - IRON MOUNTAIN — Dickinson County Mine Inspector Steven Smith described 2017 as “a very frustrating year” trying to correct dangers at former mines. Smith, entering his sixth year in the elected position, was grateful his annual report included no ... (01/10/2018)
- Australia forecasts 20% iron ore price decline in 2018 - AUSTRALIA forecast a 20% drop in the iron ore price to an average of $51.50/t in 2018 versus 2017, said Reuters citing a government projection which was out of kilter with other analysts who cover the sector. UBS and Citi have forecast iron ore prices to ... (01/09/2018)
- Coal and iron ore dwarf battery metals in mining deals - Coal and iron ore dominated mining takeovers in 2017 with buyers favouring the stalwarts over the uncertainties of a battery-powered future. While the biggest deal was in Brazil, China was a top player despite planning to reduce domestic coal and steel ... (01/09/2018)
- Vale exports 18.8Mt of iron ore from S11D - BNamericas develops thousands of news articles, analyses and features every month, always concentrating on how to make or save money in Latin American business. This news article is one of hundreds published daily by Business News Americas about the ... (01/08/2018)
- PolyMet is nearly clear to build controversial Iron Range mine - The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources released a draft permit to mine Friday morning for PolyMet Mining, a major step forward for what's poised to be the first copper-nickel mine in the state — a $650 million project that could spur an entire new ... (01/05/2018)
- India's top iron ore state Odisha to meet output target despite mine closures - Odisha suspended operations of seven mines after leaseholders failed to meet a deadline on Dec. 31, fixed by the Supreme Court, for paying penalties for illegally extracting ore between 2000 and 2011. India's top iron ore state is likely to produce 100 ... (01/02/2018)
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
Manganiferous ores valued for iron content, mining and/or beneficiating, Agglomerates, iron ore, beneficiating, Iron ore (e.g., hematite, magnetite, siderite, taconite) mining and/or beneficiating, Brown ore mining and/or beneficiating, Iron ore beneficiating plants (e.g., agglomeration, sintering), Taconite ores mining and/or beneficiating, Siderite mining and/or beneficiating, Iron ore agglomerates mining and/or beneficiating, Iron ore mine site development for own account, Iron ore, blocked, Hematite mining and/or beneficiating, Taconite concentrates or agglomerates beneficiating, Limonite mining and/or beneficiating, Sintered iron ore produced at the mine, Briquets, iron, etc.