Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing Industry AnalysisIdentify industry changes, evaluate the market size, market outlook, trends, key players, and growth opportunities.
|Contents||Standard Report||Premium Report|
|Industry Overview & Outlook|
|Market Size (industry trends)|
|Market Forecast (5-year projection)|
|Revenue per State|
|Salary & Compensation Benchmarks|
|Industry News & Innovators|
|Instant Download - Available immediately upon purchase|
|Download both PDF and Excel
2018 Market Analysis & Industry Outlook: Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing
Overview of the U.S. Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing IndustryThis section provides answers to key questions about the industry:
- What is the total market size (industry revenue)?
- What is the industry outlook?
- Market Analysis: Is the market growing or declining, and how quickly?
- Are long-term forecasts positive or negative?
- What is the average company size in the industry?
- How many companies are in the industry?
Market Size & Industry StatisticsThe total U.S. industry market size for Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing: Industry statistics cover all companies in the United States, both public and private, ranging in size from small businesses to market leaders. In addition to revenue, the industry market analysis shows information on employees, companies, and average firm size.
Investors, banks, and business executives use growth rates and industry trends to understand the market outlook and opportunity.
|Statistics||2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017|
Order at top of page
|Average Revenue Per Firm|
|Average Employees Per Firm|
Market Forecast[PREMIUM]Market forecasts show the long term industry outlook and future growth trends. The following five-year demand forecast projects both short-term and long-term trends.
|Forecast / Industry Outlook||2017||2018||2019||2020||2021||2022|
|Market Forecast ($ millions)|
|Projected Industry Growth Rate (%)|
Product & Services BreakdownResearch products and services in the Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing industry generating sales. Note that products are broken into categories with different levels of classification.
|Product Description||Sales ($ millions)||Percent of Total Sales|
Electromedical And Electrotherapeutic Apparatus Manufacturing
Surgical And Medical Instrument Manufacturing
Surgical And Medical Instruments
Surgical Appliance And Supplies Manufacturing
Surgical Appliances And Supplies, Including Orthopedic, Prosthetic, And Therapeutic
Other Secondary Products
Total Miscellaneous Receipts
Resales - Sales Of Products Bought And Sold Without Further Manufacture, Processing, Or Assembly
U.S. Geographic Distribution: Revenue Statistics by StateMarket Size by State ($ millions) indicates how the industry's competition is distributed throughout the country. State-level information can identify areas with higher and lower industry market share than average.
Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing Industry Price TrendsRise and fall in market prices are affectedd by supply, demand, and the cost of goods/services sold. Higher demand or COGS will put upward price pressure on prices. Higher competition among Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing companies will put a downward pressure on prices. The chart shows how prices are changing within the industry, month-to-month over the last three years.
Income Statement (Average Financial Metrics)Financial metrics provide a snapshot view of a benchmark "average" company. Key business metrics show revenue and operating costs. The data collected covers both public and private companies.
|Industry Average||Percent of Sales|
Order at top of page
|Cost of Goods Sold|
|Pension, profit sharing plans, stock, annuity|
|Rent paid on business property|
|Domestic production activities deduction|
|Compensation of officers|
|Salaries and wages|
|Employee benefit programs|
|Taxes and Licenses|
|Other Operating Expenses|
|Total Operating Expenses|
|EBIT (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes)|
|Earnings Before Taxes|
Financial Ratio AnalysisFinancial ratio information can be used to benchmark how a Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing company compares to its peers. Accounting statistics are calculated from the industry-average for income statements and balance sheets.
|Profitability & Valuation Ratios||Industry Average|
|Company valuation can be measured based on the firm's own performance, as well as in comparison against its industry competitors. These metrics show how the average company in the Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing industry is performing.|
Gross Profit Margin, Operating Profit Margin, and Net Profit Margin. Show company earnings relative to revenues.
|Return on Equity (ROE)
Return on Equity (ROE) is net income as a percentage of shareholders' equity. Shareholders' Equity is defined as the company's total assets minus total liabilities. ROE shows how much profits a company generates with the money shareholders invested (or with retained earnings).
|Return on Assets (ROA)
Return on Assets (ROA) is net income relative to total assets. The market research on Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing measures how efficiently the company leverages its assets to generate profit. ROA is calculated as Net Income divided by Total Assets.
|Liquidity Ratios||Industry Average|
|Bankers and suppliers use liquidity to determine creditworthiness and identify potential threats to a company's financial viability.|
Measures a firm's ability to pay its debts over the next 12 months.
|Quick Ratio (Acid Test)
Calculates liquid assets relative to liabilities, excluding inventories.
|Efficiency Ratios - Key Performance Indicators||Industry Average|
|Measure how quickly products and services sell, and effectively collections policies are implemented.|
|Receivables Turnover Ratio
If this number is low in your business when compared to the industry average in the research report, it may mean your payment terms are too lenient or that you are not doing a good enough job on collections.
|Average Collection Period
Based on the Receivables Turnover, this estimates the collection period in days. Calculated as 365 divided by the Receivables Turnover
A low turnover rate may point to overstocking, obsolescence, or deficiencies in the product line or marketing effort.
Generally, higher is better, since it indicates the business has less money tied up in fixed assets for each dollar of sales revenue.
Compensation & Salary Surveys for EmployeesCompensation statistics provides an accurate assessment of industry-specific jobs and national salary averages. This information can be used to identify which positions are most common, and high, low, and average annual wages.
|Title||Percent of Workforce||Bottom Quartile||Average (Median) Salary||Upper Quartile|
Order at top of page
|General and Operations Managers||2%|
|Business and Financial Operations Occupations||5%|
|Architecture and Engineering Occupations||8%|
|Office and Administrative Support Occupations||13%|
|Assemblers and Fabricators||15%|
|Miscellaneous Assemblers and Fabricators||12%|
|Metal Workers and Plastic Workers||9%|
|Other Production Occupations||23%|
|Medical, Dental, and Ophthalmic Laboratory Technicians||15%|
|Dental Laboratory Technicians||9%|
Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing Industry Market Share [PREMIUM]Largest companies in the industry and related industries, with private company revenue estimates.
Additional companies, details and innovation scoring in the full report.
Latest Industry News
- Global Gynecology Surgical Instruments Market by Players: Ethicon US, Tetra Surgical, KLS Martin Group, Richard WOLF GmbH - It evaluates competitor pricing, average market selling prices and margins in the global Gynecology Surgical Instruments market. – It strategically profiles the leading players in the market which are involved in the manufacturing and supply of ... (01/10/2018)
- Intuitive Surgical Announces Preliminary Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2017 Results - The Company shipped 216 da Vinci Surgical Systems compared ... competition in the medical device industry and in the specific markets of surgery in which the Company operates; unanticipated manufacturing disruptions or the inability to meet demand ... (01/10/2018)
- ATC Medical Aims to Reduce Medical Care Expenses in 2018 up to 40% with Online Suppliers - ATC Medical, the internet based, multi-channel distributor of medical, surgical and therapy ... thousands of brands and manufacturers to choose from, and a product range encompassing a vast range of medical supplies and equipment. Clients can also visit ... (01/10/2018)
- New report examines EMEA's (Europe, Middle East and Africa) surgical clips market research for 2018 - Upstream raw materials, equipment and downstream ... USD), market share and growth rate of Surgical Clips for these regions, from 2013 to 2025 (forecast) Chapter 2 - EMEA Surgical Clips Competition by Manufacturers/Players/Suppliers, Region, Type and ... (01/10/2018)
- Top 5 Medical Device Manufacturing Challenges in the Emerging Market - The players in the medical device manufacturing industry will witness growth opportunities in developing markets, and with the growing importance of surgical equipment and medical devices in modern healthcare, the revenue potential is expected to increase. (01/09/2018)
- Surgical/Operating Microscopes Market 2018 Global Industry Overview and Competitive Analysis Research Report - Upstream raw materials and equipment and downstream ... Analysis of Surgical/Operating Microscopes Industry Key Manufacturers: Leica Microsystems, Carl Zeiss, Topcon, BMS Medical, Alcon Laboratories, Takagi, ACCU-Scope, Alltion (Wuzhou), ARRI Medical ... (01/04/2018)
- Australian Paragon Care acquires Insight Surgical, Medtech Solutions - Australian medical equipment company Paragon Care said it acquired both Insight Surgical for $5 million and Medtech Solutions ... “Our SA strategy is to partner with global healthcare manufacturers in territories where they would prefer to enjoy a ... (12/28/2017)
- Global Thoracic Surgical Instruments Package Industry Analysis, Size, Market share, Growth, Trend and Forecast 2022 - Global Thoracic Surgical Instruments Package Market by Manufacturers, Types ... market-professional-survey-report-2017 Companies like Richard Wolf, Coloplast, Cook Medical, Shanghai Medical Instruments, Boston Scientific, Medtronic and more are profiled ... (12/12/2017)
- A Leading Surgical Instruments Manufacturer Entered Niche Market Segments With the Help of Infiniti’s Market Opportunity Study - Therefore, to stay relevant in this competitive environment, the surgical instruments manufacturers have started adopting robust market opportunity assessments.” The medical devices sector is one of the most important and biggest segments of the global ... (09/23/2017)
Government ContractsIn 2016, the federal government spent a total of $1,324,654,251 on Surgical & Medical Instrument Manufacturing. It has awarded 29,572 contracts to 1,881 companies, with an average value of $704,229 per company.
Top government vendors:
|Company||Federal Contracts||Total Award Amount|
Segments classified within this market research reportThis industry market research report includes companies whose primary business is any of the following:
IV apparatus manufacturing, Instruments, mechanical microsurgical, manufacturing, Inhalators, surgical and medical, Inhalation therapy equipment manufacturing, Corneal microscopes manufacturing, Bronchoscopes (except electromedical) manufacturing, Tonometers, medical, Saws, surgical, Trocars manufacturing, Physiotherapy equipment (except electrotherapeutic) manufacturing, Cystoscopes (except electromedical) manufacturing, Retinoscopes (except electromedical) manufacturing, Catheters manufacturing, Surgical stapling devices manufacturing, Cannulae manufacturing, Blood pressure apparatus manufacturing, Clamps, Skin grafting equipment manufacturing, Pelvimeters manufacturing, Surgical clamps manufacturing, Bone plates and screws manufacturing, Surgical knife blades and handles manufacturing, Bone drills manufacturing, Gastroscopes (except electromedical) manufacturing, Suction therapy apparatus manufacturing, Needles, hypodermic and suture, Veterinarians' instruments and apparatus manufacturing, Speculums manufacturing, Oxygen tents manufacturing, Forceps, Anesthesia apparatus manufacturing, Bone rongeurs manufacturing, Sphygmomanometers manufacturing, Blood transfusion equipment manufacturing, Hypodermic needles and syringes manufacturing, Stethoscopes manufacturing, Retractors, Probes, Thermometers, Eye examining instruments and apparatus manufacturing, Optometers manufacturing, Ophthalmic instruments and apparatus (except laser surgical) manufacturing, Medical thermometers manufacturing, Ophthalmometers and ophthalmoscopes manufacturing, Syringes, hypodermic, Knives, etc.